Lowrance autopilot

A short video to show you how extremely well the base Lowrance Nac-1 works.

It's on a Crestliner Sportfish 1950 SST and a HST Live. I have 2 Live and 1 Carbon and I can control the NAC 1 from all 3.

The NAC1 that I order this year is with the Precision 9

Compatible with less expensive units like the new Lowrance Elite FS and the Simrad GO

Edited by wallyandre
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm still on the fence about getting the outboard autopilot. I know it will work with my HDS9 Gen3, but there is someone at the helm 99% of the time anyway. But it would come in handy when there's only two people on the boat.

I'm still on the fence about getting the outboard autopilot. I know it will work with my HDS9 Gen3, but there is someone at the helm 99% of the time anyway. But it would come in handy when there's only two people on the boat.

I can tell you one of the best purchases I’ve made for fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Frogger said:

I can tell you one of the best purchases I’ve made for fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I don't doubt that one bit. I know I won't regret the purchase.

The NAC1 with Precision 9 Simrad version works well for me.  Holds a good line even when it is snotty.  Using with Simrad Go Series for chart plotter.  Precision 9 upgrade worth the extra $$$ IMO over the base Lowrance unit.  Go Series touch screen easy to use.

12 hours ago, mr 580 said:

The NAC1 with Precision 9 Simrad version works well for me.  Holds a good line even when it is snotty.  Using with Simrad Go Series for chart plotter.  Precision 9 upgrade worth the extra $$$ IMO over the base Lowrance unit.  Go Series touch screen easy to use.

What is the Precision 9 Simrad?

Todd the Lowrance Outboard Autopilot uses a Point 1 Heading sensor.  The Simrad Outboard Autopilot uses the Precision 9 heading sensor/compass.  Both kits use the Nac-1 module and the same fittings/hoses so the difference in the two kits is the heading sensor. The Precision 9 compass is an upgrade compared to the Point 1 and is more expensive by about $500 or $600 when comparing Lowrance and Simrad Outboard Autopilot kits.  My experience with the Precision 9 is that my autopilot holds a good line in wind and rough water-I don’t know how the Lowrance Point 1 would compare.

• Like 1

Simrad and Lowrance are owned by same group.  My install was hydraulic steering- I do believe Lowrance did offer a cable steer kit.

Thank you. It won't happen this year because I've been putting money into my row boat. I'll need to buy a new steering cable to go along with the autopilot as well. Lowrance recommends a new steering cable, but NOT one of the "No Feedback Steering" cables. 

I have had the Outboard Pilot for 8 years with NO issues. My Lowrance Carbon 12 does a much better job of commissioning and responding to correction than my older HDS Gen 2 did. It seems to be much easier on the hydraulic steering pump also. I have been happy with it!