Outboard cooling system plugging up

Wise77

So I have a odd issue with my kicker. I have an older Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 that keeps plugging. When I first got the boat no water was coming out of the back (don't know the correct name) pisser line, so I was told to take a air line and blow it out. That worked great then when I took it out after about a hour and a half it started plugging again. So I blew it out again then same thing the next time. So I'm probably going to replace all the rubber hose I can get to they are pretty old, in case I have a collapsed hose. It seams like the impeller is working just plugging. Is there a solution I should try to clean it out? I have heard people use a vinegar mix for deposits. Any thought?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would change out the impeller. They usually only last 3-5 years max, depending on several environmental factors.

I'll be replacing them in my main motor and kicker motor this fall (both outboards). They are working just fine, but this is their 4th season.

Had a similar problem on a 2012 Yamaha T9.9.  Always seemed to slow down on the pee hole.  Was just the fact that the hose to the fitting on the end was a slight choke point that would constantly clog because my slip was in a weedy area.  Kept a 6 in piece of stiff wire on board and poked out the hole occasionally, problem solved.

Not uncommon for spiders or other critters to build nests in the weep hose.  As this is a new to you outboard, a new impeller and inspection/ replacement of hoses is a good plan too.  I’d back flush the intake system when I had things apart for impeller replacement as well.  Not a difficult job to replace impeller on these small motors.