19 strand as backing?

I really like the idea of having versatility in the water column without having so many reels, as my collection of equipment is getting quite ridiculous.  I think I have more stuff in stock than fishUSA these days haha.  So I've "heard" that 19 strand as a backer mimics the dive pattern of what's in front of it.... so does that mean if I let out 5 colors of leadcore, to make it equivalent to a 7 color, I would simply let out an additional 20 yards/60 Ft. of 19 strand backing?  An additional 50 ft. of 19 strand behind weighted steel would get me 10 more ft. of depth?  Does this really work?  I bought a bucket of the Scotty clips...will I have any problem clipping to the 19 strand?  I'm not a huge fan rubber bands.  

I recently set up a couple 300ft weighted steel reels with braid as backer.  Would it be advantageous for me to add 19 strand instead of braid or would that be overkill -- how often would I need to get deeper that that?  300 ft. of weighted steel is supposed to get to 60 ft at 2mph but at higher speeds with flashers I'm guessing 50 or less.  

Edited by ErieBuck

I have been using the 19 strand as backing with weighted steel in front. The thinness and weight of the 19 strand will allow almost the same sink rate as the weighted steel. That will work for leadcore as well.But the relative thickness and structure of leadcore creates a bit higher water resistance so you will probably not get as good a sink rate per foot compared to weighted steel.

Not having to stock a different rod on board for every length of leadcore I might wish to use was the motivation behind using this setup. For me it  has to do with with control of the work place which is crucial on a 19 footer.

I have been using the 19 strand as backing with weighted steel in front. The thinness and weight of the 19 strand will allow almost the same sink rate as the weighted steel. That will work for leadcore as well.But the relative thickness and structure of leadcore creates a bit higher water resistance so you will probably not get as good a sink rate per foot compared to weighted steel.
Not having to stock a different rod on board for every length of leadcore I might wish to use was the motivation behind using this setup. For me it  has to do with with control of the work place which is crucial on a 19 footer.

Thanks! What weighted steel lengths are you running? How often do you need to go beyond 300 ft? In summertime to hit that 70/80 ft range? Weighted steel says 20 ft drop per 100 ft... so do you follow that same guideline for letting out additional backer?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run 2 200 footers and one 300 footer with a thousand foot of 19 strand backing on each and fish down to 90 feet and dependent on speed sometimes more. I just count the 19 strand as if it weighted steel. I use large convectors with line counters. You will have to experiment with the knots that connect between the thicker and thinner wires although the 19 strand acts and feels like mono as far as knotting is concerned.

For me the best part is no more copper with all the complications that it causes.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

I run 2 200 footers and one 300 footer with a thousand foot of 19 strand backing on each and fish down to 90 feet and dependent on speed sometimes more. I use large convectors with line counters. You will have to experiment with the knots that connect between the thicker and thinner wires although the 19 strand acts and feels like mono as far as knotting is concerned.
For me the best part is no more copper with all the complications that it causes.

Maybe barrel swivel and crimp?

That is one way. The trick is to make the knots small enough so they can go through the guide on your reel without trouble. mine will go through the convector but not through the magda

I use it as backer on a 200 weighted steel it's more user friendly than copper and gives me versitility out of one rod I fish out of an 18 footer so space is premium I also only run longlines when derby fishing so being able to hit several leangths on one rod suits my current needs I also run 19 strand as my dipsey line again I find it more user friendly wire knots are easy don one overhand loop and tighten that's it anything more tends to distribute stress unevenly to the strands made me nervous as all heck to try but after a few years I'm a believer. Weighted steel I use the connection the torpedo guy did the video on and if I'm doing wire to mono or braid direct an Albright knot with the wire looped and the other line wrapping there are other ways that work but this is what I have confidence in

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 6/13/2021 at 8:57 AM, pole setter said:

Is anyone using in-line planer boards with the 19th strand if so how are you attaching them to the planer boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Here's a good video on a way to set it up for in line planer boards.  This guys splices in some braid to hook the boards.  I plan on using mine on big boards with scotty clips... I think I'll be able to just clip directly to the 19 strand as the scotty clips seem to hold everything but we'll see 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve done a couple walleye trips with the 19 strand as backing on a 3 color… mixed results… first trip I slammed some extra fish because I was easily able to let out more line ( I have enough 19 strand backing to make it a 10 color equivalent) and get deeper on my planer board lines. Second trip, big waves and I got cocky and let the clicker off while trying to speed up the process of sending down the planer board line and just like a wire diver, you’re screwed when that line nests up… frustrating.

I used the 19 strand backer for 1 season. It's not all it's cracked up to be. First, it absolutely doesn't have the same sink rate as an equal length weighted steel. Meaning 200 ft of steel and 200ft of 19 strand does not equal a 400 weighted steel. I had the same plans as you, 1 rod for every application but the truth is it doesn't work. Also after some testing in shallower water (under 100ft) I know that weighted steel does not have the same sink rate as copper. I do think the steel is more user friendly. I'm still using it this season. Another issue with the 19 strand backer is if it tangles with anything the wire is junk. The first trip out we had a fish cross the steel rod before we could get it in and there went $45 worth of wire. If you were fishing for smaller fish or walleye you could just cut out the bad spot but with salmon you need to have the full 1000ft or you'll end up spooled. I took the 1 reel I had with the 19 strand and removed the wire. I went back to braid backer and will try running a torpedo diver and see if I can get it down to the 60ft range. I'll use my 400 steel the same way. Hopefully I'll get the results I'm looking for or I'll be going back to the copper.

• Like 1

I used the 19 strand backer for 1 season. It's not all it's cracked up to be. First, it absolutely doesn't have the same sink rate as an equal length weighted steel. Meaning 200 ft of steel and 200ft of 19 strand does not equal a 400 weighted steel. I had the same plans as you, 1 rod for every application but the truth is it doesn't work. Also after some testing in shallower water (under 100ft) I know that weighted steel does not have the same sink rate as copper. I do think the steel is more user friendly. I'm still using it this season. Another issue with the 19 strand backer is if it tangles with anything the wire is junk. The first trip out we had a fish cross the steel rod before we could get it in and there went $45 worth of wire. If you were fishing for smaller fish or walleye you could just cut out the bad spot but with salmon you need to have the full 1000ft or you'll end up spooled. I took the 1 reel I had with the 19 strand and removed the wire. I went back to braid backer and will try running a torpedo diver and see if I can get it down to the 60ft range. I'll use my 400 steel the same way. Hopefully I'll get the results I'm looking for or I'll be going back to the copper.

I’m going to test a 200 weighted steel with 100/200 19 strand backing with the fish hawk TD probe, Today. Will see what depths I get at 200/300/400. Will report back results.

It’s one thing losing a little leadcore but yes that would totally suck to lose a copper setup. After a backlash nest, the 19 strand got caught in between the spool and reel casing. Dead soldier.

I've done it on two trips so far and haven't had a problem at all with the scotty clips and 19 strand.  Time will tell but I don't think the scotty clips will cause much wear as they are smooth plastic and the 19 strand is slick like braid.  I know people use a bunch of different clips out there so experience will vary.... could always half hitch a rubber band if need be.  I had big waves yesterday and just had to put the line a little deeper in the clip.  with braid or mono i like to create a loop to clip to by twisting the line about 5 times (like you do for black's downrigger releases).  Obviously you can't do that with 19 strand but it still works well just clipping it.   As I said in a post above, you just have to be careful to keep clicker on or keep thumb on a free spool or you're screwed.  

While thickness of the 19 strand is similar to 50lb braid -- it does weigh a little more so you get a big more of a sag in your lines going out to the planer boards which can dip in the water.  Even with all the bouncing around in the waves, the scotty clips help up well -- no false releases.  

Edited by ErieBuck
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

I've done it on two trips so far and haven't had a problem at all with the scotty clips and 19 strand.  Time will tell but I don't think the scotty clips will cause much wear as they are smooth plastic and the 19 strand is slick like braid.  I know people use a bunch of different clips out there so experience will vary.... could always half hitch a rubber band if need be.  I had big waves yesterday and just had to put the line a little deeper in the clip.  with braid or mono i like to create a loop to clip to by twisting the line about 5 times (like you do for black's downrigger releases).  Obviously you can't do that with 19 strand but it still works well just clipping it.   As I said in a post above, you just have to be careful to keep clicker on or keep thumb on a free spool or you're screwed.  

I'm more concerned about having the wire clipped at a certain point, and then you get bending back and forth due to wave action. Kind of like taking a wire in your hand and bending it back and forth, eventually it will snap.

3 minutes ago, TyeeTanic said:

I'm more concerned about having the wire clipped at a certain point, and then you get bending back and forth due to wave action. Kind of like taking a wire in your hand and bending it back and forth, eventually it will snap.

I see what you mean -- maybe, but it seems soft and malleable like braid, not rigid like 7 strand.  I'm not a fanboy yet of the stuff -- just experimenting.  We'll see... 

• 2 weeks later...
I see what you mean -- maybe, but it seems soft and malleable like braid, not rigid like 7 strand.  I'm not a fanboy yet of the stuff -- just experimenting.  We'll see... 

Lost a three colors of lead along with the 19 strand backer when my “improved Albright” knot failed — braid to 19’strand. Not sure what I did wrong maybe tag ends to short. Frustrating, probably not worth it. Might just go with some snap weights to add versatility