19 strand as backing?

I really like the idea of having versatility in the water column without having so many reels, as my collection of equipment is getting quite ridiculous.  I think I have more stuff in stock than fishUSA these days haha.  So I've "heard" that 19 strand as a backer mimics the dive pattern of what's in front of it.... so does that mean if I let out 5 colors of leadcore, to make it equivalent to a 7 color, I would simply let out an additional 20 yards/60 Ft. of 19 strand backing?  An additional 50 ft. of 19 strand behind weighted steel would get me 10 more ft. of depth?  Does this really work?  I bought a bucket of the Scotty clips...will I have any problem clipping to the 19 strand?  I'm not a huge fan rubber bands.  

I recently set up a couple 300ft weighted steel reels with braid as backer.  Would it be advantageous for me to add 19 strand instead of braid or would that be overkill -- how often would I need to get deeper that that?  300 ft. of weighted steel is supposed to get to 60 ft at 2mph but at higher speeds with flashers I'm guessing 50 or less.  

Edited by ErieBuck

I have been using the 19 strand as backing with weighted steel in front. The thinness and weight of the 19 strand will allow almost the same sink rate as the weighted steel. That will work for leadcore as well.But the relative thickness and structure of leadcore creates a bit higher water resistance so you will probably not get as good a sink rate per foot compared to weighted steel.

Not having to stock a different rod on board for every length of leadcore I might wish to use was the motivation behind using this setup. For me it  has to do with with control of the work place which is crucial on a 19 footer.

I have been using the 19 strand as backing with weighted steel in front. The thinness and weight of the 19 strand will allow almost the same sink rate as the weighted steel. That will work for leadcore as well.But the relative thickness and structure of leadcore creates a bit higher water resistance so you will probably not get as good a sink rate per foot compared to weighted steel.
Not having to stock a different rod on board for every length of leadcore I might wish to use was the motivation behind using this setup. For me it  has to do with with control of the work place which is crucial on a 19 footer.

Thanks! What weighted steel lengths are you running? How often do you need to go beyond 300 ft? In summertime to hit that 70/80 ft range? Weighted steel says 20 ft drop per 100 ft... so do you follow that same guideline for letting out additional backer?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run 2 200 footers and one 300 footer with a thousand foot of 19 strand backing on each and fish down to 90 feet and dependent on speed sometimes more. I just count the 19 strand as if it weighted steel. I use large convectors with line counters. You will have to experiment with the knots that connect between the thicker and thinner wires although the 19 strand acts and feels like mono as far as knotting is concerned.

For me the best part is no more copper with all the complications that it causes.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1
I run 2 200 footers and one 300 footer with a thousand foot of 19 strand backing on each and fish down to 90 feet and dependent on speed sometimes more. I use large convectors with line counters. You will have to experiment with the knots that connect between the thicker and thinner wires although the 19 strand acts and feels like mono as far as knotting is concerned.
For me the best part is no more copper with all the complications that it causes.

Maybe barrel swivel and crimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is one way. The trick is to make the knots small enough so they can go through the guide on your reel without trouble. mine will go through the convector but not through the magda

I use it as backer on a 200 weighted steel it's more user friendly than copper and gives me versitility out of one rod I fish out of an 18 footer so space is premium I also only run longlines when derby fishing so being able to hit several leangths on one rod suits my current needs I also run 19 strand as my dipsey line again I find it more user friendly wire knots are easy don one overhand loop and tighten that's it anything more tends to distribute stress unevenly to the strands made me nervous as all heck to try but after a few years I'm a believer. Weighted steel I use the connection the torpedo guy did the video on and if I'm doing wire to mono or braid direct an Albright knot with the wire looped and the other line wrapping there are other ways that work but this is what I have confidence in

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app