Seth green rig

when I started out fishing with the meat rig I used a broomstick roller tip rod with 30lb deccron  line. I used brass swivels small enough so they can slide thru my roller tip on to my Penn 49 reel. I spaced my swivels 10 to 20 apart. 5 leaders 10 feet long. the bottom swivel was home made. sinker 32 once. I lowered the bottom rig to I can hit bottom in 100 ft of water. I marked my line with my trolling speed. this gave me a good idea how deep I was fishing my bottom lure. 100 ft was a good depth to find trout. I fished this rig out to the middle of lake. early morning fish hit the upper 2 leaders by mid morning the bottom two leaders did most of the catching. when I got a fish on I reeled up took off the leader thru it in the boat till I came to the leader with the fish on.  laid the rod down took off the leader and played the fish by hand till I lured him to the net. its was fun when I had 3 fish on at once. 2 meat rigs was enough for me. if you want to fish this rig today you have to be a little creative making up the rig. its old school fishing. years ago we didn't have the rods and reels we have today. fish finders started coming out around the end of the later 60s. my first FF was the lowrance green box. then I went to the  vexilar paper unit. then I went to the X15 FF. those paper units were much better than the FF we use today. if your old FF broke down you could get it fixed. today they give you a coupon to buy a new one. 

• Like 1

Brings back memories Ray. Old school was the best school back then :lol: I started out with the old Vexilar flasher about the same era as the Lowrance Greenbox

Then a Heathkit paper graph in the early eighties that my dad assembled for me which all the parts including hundreds of diodes had to be soldered to the motherboard and all parts assembles...probably at least700 or 800 parts). Thank God he was an electronics technician or I would have been screwed:lol: Scale went to 100 ft but it actually would go to about 250 if you kept track of the light going around and basically knew where you were in the lake.

vexflasher1.jpg

vexflasher.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Anyone remember the old Victrola rigs made from  the wind up spring from a an old (very old) wind up Victrola record player. I used one for several years when we pulled rigs by hand (row once, pull twice), laugh if you must but caught a lot of Keuka lakers that way. Still have the Victrola, hasn't been used in 40+ years.

For folks not familiar with this stuff here are a couple of the old standard reels used for Seth Green fishing. I still use several Penn 309's as my rig fishing reels. The Penn 49 M (Super Mariner) on the left and the Penn 309 with power handle on the right. The 309 came with thj level wind guide but I always took mine off because the stranded wire chewed them up and then guided the wire on by hand

penns.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

No laughing from this corner my friend. Many vics still in use on the fingers catching lakers. Back in the day my Dad and his sidekick Pete Rogers couldn't afford one so used a box with lead core and 5 spoons and rowed off Willard.  Mainly Suttons cause they were the lightest at the time. Dad saw a 28 pounder come in to Willard one evening. Course this was before the damn lampreys were introduced.  Good memories. 

Hop's dad taught him many trolling ins and outs and Hop shared some of them with me back in the late 70's and eighties and it was instrumental in us developing our own techniques and I haven't forgotten it. Many good times on the water together.:smile:

those lampreys have been around since 1830. when Canada put in the wetland canal all hell broke loose. I remember the old tackle shops we had around Penn Yan. it was a factory for night fishing gear, victrola boxes and if you needed any fishing gear repaired. you could have it done right here. in Waterloo we had a couple small tackle shops. fisherman friend. berry bait and tackle. Lodi had a nice shop. all these shops carried everything we needed to fish these lakes. we had spoon manufactures too. Sutton company was probably the biggest one of them all. he supplied all the copper we needed too. the list goes on and on. I can't believe how everything has left the area. 

• Like 1

those old victrola are worth a lot of money today. I have two. one beat up and the other like new never used. all cherry wood. if you have one. never get rid of it. someday it will be worth thousands of dollars. theres a lot of history behind that old box.  it was develop and made right here. a lot of people make fun of it. its a shame what they don't know. this is real capitalism at work.  

Yes Ray globilization, cheap labor in China and other places and the Kmarts and Walmarts and Runnings and so on did a job on all those great tackle places and here in Canandaigua Fishing Tackle where I bought everything from sinkers to my first downriggers. Now even the big stores are struggling against Amazon and the online enterprises. What the lampreys have done to Seneca and the trout these behemoths have done the same to the mom and pop enterprises; sucked the life blood out of them. It is a shame.

les

I miss canandaiqua fishing tackle. he had everything we could think of. Walmart put him out of business along with the new 5 and 20 that went around canandaiqua. he still had a catalog business. something happen. 

I just remembered I would run a twin minnow on the center leader. It was like a flatfish. Would make the whole line vibrate. I have been looking but I cant seem to find it . Its a pistol grip copper line reel . It was factory made so there must be a few around if anyone has a picture..

I found it. made in Trumansburg NY. It has a thumb clutch and a spring around the rod end to soften strikes. I can see why the old timers smelled like liniment Running this machine one handed all day..

Ive had this probably 50yrs.  Its spooled with copper.

reel.JPG

rod.JPG

This is what Twin Minnows look like. They originally cam with a small treble which was too light and often snagged up on bottom so it helped to change the hooks to single stainless siwash hooks positioned upright with the point facing upward to help minimize snags on bottom The black back white bottom one with the red lip was always a top performer. There was also a slightly larger version of the Twin Minnow that was jointed.

twinminnows.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

The Twin Minnow is meant to resemble the Freshwater Sculpin (Stonecat) and has a little different shape and action than the Flatfish

twinminnows.jpg

flatfish.jpg

By the way Stan I have never seen one of those rods before. Someone must have stayed up all night thinking that one up:smile:

6 hours ago, Sk8man said:

By the way Stan I have never seen one of those rods before. Someone must have stayed up all night thinking that one up:smile:

Check out that phone number. 88F22  is the "F" for the number 3. I remember when we only had five digits for a phone number then two letters (digits) were added some time before area codes.