Seth green rig

Looking for the beaded chain with the tag as pictured below.  I purchased these at Wildmans in Ithaca years ago. I can not find them now. Use these on Seth Green rigs to attach leaders.They worked great you could wind them up on the reel. If someone has a better way please let me know. These may not be available anymore. Thanks    

IMG-1962.JPG

I don't think Jan Brewer is still in business out in Ovid.

Might want to give Fishy a call Stan he might know where to get them if he doesn't have them.  https://fishybusinesstackleshop.com/hours.html

I haven't seen them with the tag for years though. He has the regular bead chains and a small version of spring clips. (like those pictured on Brian's post below)

I've been using the standard bead chains for years now and make my own spring clips to attach either to the ring or between the beads. The faceted plastic beads help to grasp them and especially in the cold weather. I haven't been able to find the longer springs for awhile but the shorter ones you can get at jann's Netcraft as well as the tool kit for making the spring clips. If you order it get the one with the manual etc. You can also use a standard swivel snap and attach it to the ring instead of between the beads.

springclips.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks for the replys . I have not ran a Seth Green rig in probably 20 plus years.... I just remember all the tangled leaders. Towing a JUG. But it did catch fish.

Hopefully I have more patience now, Autopilot will help. I think the Dollar General pool tubes will help with the tangles. We will see. Sk8o I have the Jans Netcraft catalog I will check for the spring clips .  Many thanks to Hop If he has some.

suttons in Naples had the bead chain with a clevis to hook the spring clip to  a couple years back. I use them and they worked great. i always wanted to try a seth green rig in lake ontario just to see if they would work. i am sure they would.it would be fun to catch multiple fish on the same line. my dad told me about a time when he was night fishing at Keuka and a guy caught 5 smallmouth all at the same time on a rig.

You may want to rethink Lake O with the Seth Green because of the kings as they could make a huge mess and lose some tackle. I tried it a long time ago and luckily only caught lakers:lol:

SK8,

Your warning about using a Seth Green rig in Lake O brings back a memory and a chuckle. Back in the day we had a camp at Oak Orchard and fished every weekend in our 19' Grady. Being a Keuka rig fisherman since the early '60s I thought I'd try using a stout,short three spoon rig off a jug. for kings. Wasn't in the water 15 minutes and the jug disappeared. Got the 18 lb king to the boat (of course he was on the bottom spoon) and was handlining in the leader with him on it and the thought struck me, what would I do if he decided to make his last run towards Toronto? I could feel the pain of the top two spoons hooks as they flew through my hand if he ran. Luck for me he didn't make that final run and we netted him ok. That rig was so balled up I just cut off the hardware and trashed the rig. Lesson learned, could have been a very painful experience.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Fishstix said:

Looking for the beaded chain with the tag as pictured below.  I purchased these at Wildmans in Ithaca years ago. I can not find them now. Use these on Seth Green rigs to attach leaders.They worked great you could wind them up on the reel. If someone has a better way please let me know. These may not be available anymore. Thanks    

IMG-1962.JPG

Hey Fishsticks, I could only find 6 of the beaded chain with the clevis. I  myself never used them but my Dad did. Going out in tomorrow s mail along with a couple old pine valley spoons that used to be killer for fall rainbow. Just don't tell Les, he'll be jealous. Tight lines. 

Have an extra free dozen of these I used for Seth Green rigs, I always hand-lined everything (leaders/spoons) past the mainline into a box without taking anything apart, doubt they would wind well (if at all) onto a reel, but anyhoot....just shout, you're welcome to them! 

thumbnail_IMG_9012.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9013.jpg

When retrieving the line with a fish on a lower lead, try dropping the line into a 5 gal pail and hooking the leaders on the edge of the pail, If a fish runs , let go of the line ,the line will pull from the pail and the spoons will pop off the edge. Keep the pail near the back of the boat unobstructed. Works pretty good most of the time. When he stops , repeat process.

If you are bringing your leaders into the boat you are wasting time and asking for tangles! And there is no need to! As you bring up the rig just lay out the line on the top of the water until the leader with the fish is encountered. That's the only leader that comes into the boat! Hard to describe, simple to learn once you've seen it done.

• Like 1

When I started out back in the mid seventies with the Seth Green I had a large green wheel that was mounted on a pedestal and I rolled up everything right on it leaders and all . That lasted a couple years until I tried using a sturdy 5 1/2 ft fiberglass boat rod with roller tip and  Penn 49M's then later 309's) to have more control of things and I rolled up each leader as I got to it on 4"x5" rigid styrofoam pieces and I kept five of them for each rod with a large rubber band around them and stored them in a waterproof bag along with extra sets of leaders all set up with spoons on them arranged by size. When It was legal in the good old days I ended up running  3-4 rigs with 15 leaders each using same method (running up to 60 lures simultaneously). Other than occasionally one of the styrofoam pieces would blow away in the wind before I got to it the system worked. It still works as I still use the same method. I am so used to rolling up the leaders that way that I don't even think about it while doing it and it is totally automatic at this point. I figure when something works why change it? Everyone has to develop their own system or method for doing it that they feel comfortable with and confident in. Hard to teach a dinosaur new tricks anyway:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

He was looking for the ones with the little wire clevises Ray. Don't seem to be available anymore commercially.

one way to solve this problem. use a small piece of wire. twist it on the  bead chain swivel to you get a nice loop. copper will work too. I saw those spring clips from net craft. net craft has a nice bending tool. get the wire and make them up yourself.  if you don't want to fool around use a small swivel small enough so it wont slide off your bead chain. its a shame we don't have our specialty shops.  this what happens when we switch from small shop to big box stores. those big box stores killed the little guy. all we get from them now is rubber worms and over priced tackle.