Help installing rod holders

Bpm905

Rookie question... Can't wait to start trolling for salmon, but need some help. How do I appropriately install the rod holders within the pic? Do I mount them directly on the gunwale? I have a princecraft 172. Looking to start with dispy divers and expand afterwards. 

20210615_183455.jpg

Can you reach under the gunwale? If so I would get a metal plate cut the same size and the rod holder base. Clamp the plate to base and drill holes through the plate using the holes on the rod holder. Put rod holder where you want it and drill though the gunwale and using stainless bolts, washers and locking nuts attach the plate underneath the gunwale. Thicker the plate the better. This is what I did with my tracks on my boat. Dipseys rods have a lot of pressure on them. Maybe someone else will have a better idea. Any questions message me.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree with fisferdude track setup is the way to go. My boat I have 4 ft of traxtech track on port and starboard gunwale. On that track I have a rigger,a ball cradle, and 4 traxteck rod holders. The rod hplders will be used for 1 or 2 dipseys per side. The other rod holders used for lesdcore or weighted steel lines off inline boards. If I had to do it over I'd go with cannon rod holders just like em better. The track doesn't matter that much its pretty much all the same. Just  my HO.

You cannot have to many rod holders on a fishing boat in MHO. On my 22 ft PenYann I have 19 rod holders that all get used. 7 are on the hard top. I hate rods laying on the floor. Just my HO.

Please do yourself a favor and get good rod holders. Especially for dipsys. Get yourself some MuddyCreek track and rod holders.   I like them better than my Cisco rod holders for dipsy use. 

You are getting some excellent advice here. Dipsy diver rod holders receive a lot of torque from both the dipsy and then when a large fish such as a king hits the tension on the rod holder is very substantial and it can quickly become the weak link in your system and become costly. Installing track can distribute the torque along the gunwale and serve a s a relatively substantially stable base for them and you have the added luxury of being able to move or re-position the rod holders. The Tite Locks can be OK as additional rod holders for lighter stuff but the dipsy holders need to be sturdier. If you do decide to go with them make sure you attach safety lines to your rods/reels.  Cannon single axial holders, Bert's racheting holders, Cisco's etc. are not cheap but they will perform much better in safeguarding your equipment. In the long run they can become a much cheaper option:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

Originally I commented on what you asked about using the ones you had but I have to agree with the group on it you have the option I would install a track with good rod holders. I have Bert’s track on my boat and still put a plate underneath for extra strength. I have cannon dual axis rod holders for dipseys as love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Berts or Traxtech tracks are very solid and fun when installed correctly. Your wide gunnels look perfect for installation. But you GOTTA make sure they are absolutely solid. If you can get underneath the gunnel, you are lucky. Go to local smaller hardware store and tell him what you're end result is but HUGE pressure. Worst case if you can't get under gunnel is super high end Marine adhesive plus you thread your gunnel to accept screws. Hardware guy should explain. Or aluminum boat dealer parts counter. When done you should be able to swing rod holders flat over the gunnel (same position as using dipsies) and they should hold 100lbs easily in the air over the side. You can do it. Have fun!

All of you guys rock.Thank you for the advice - what a great community. I'm going to return the Tite-loks and go for something more sturdy as suggested. Likewise install a tracks on both sides with a plate underneath...hopefully.

Just leaving the marina, but...

I can get my hand under the gunnel. However, can't touch the gunnel from the bottom. There seems to be a an inch of a gap with a thin metal sheet right under. Should I drill through the gunnel and that sheet?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Lake Ontario United mobile app

16238883967857395079764976532200.jpg

Edited by Bpm905

Can’t tell from your photo’s but your Princecraft might have slotted rails that would allow brackets to mount tracks on.  Check with your dealer or someone like Traxstech.  This would save you from drilling gunnels and putting backer to support the tracks.  The brackets I’m referring to are sometimes called “t brackets” and vary between manufacturers of the boat.

• 10 months later...