Baitcaster

Looking for some help. Looking for some advice for the purchase of a decent baitcaster set up for large mouth. Been a spinning/fly guy forever and its new to me. Can I get away with a 39.99 special or is it necessary to spend a bunch for a decent set up.

SPEND THE MONEY!!!!! you dont have to spend a fortune, but ALL the guys I chat with on a national bass site say the same thing: you get what you pay for on baitcasters. lots of very seasoned guys gave up on BCs because they would always backlash only to try again with a 'real' reel :lol: and were amazed at the results. I use a curado and these are tried and true-incredibly easy to learn on, although the citica is basically the same reel (same housing and many interchangable parts) but is around 1/2 the cost.

Most definatly Nitro is right. I have purchased low end models only to return or throw away. :@:@

I also use a curado with no regrets. It is pricey but it works even in the wind, and the vbs is amazing it really works. I use the 200dhsv with a 7:1 ratio because it is easier to slow your presentation than burn a lure with a slow ratio. I have no experience with the citica so I will not vouch for it. I also use Abu Garcia

C3 for Musky and I like it very much as well although im not sure about there bass style reels. There are many reviews online. If you dont have the money for a curado i suggest u read reviews on any reel u r thinking of before u buy.

pull just a bit more line out beyond what you might expect to cast and then lay a piece of tape across the spool. it will keep your birds nest from going too deep when they do happen. electrical tape is good, but scotch tape will 'break away' in case you get a fish on that runs past that point in the line.

as soon as you release your thumb on the cast 'roll' the reel so that the reel is on the side rather than top of the reel. will help with preventing overruns while you're still 'educating' your thumb. (you will get a better feel over time on how to feather the spool during the cast- its not an all or none thing)

unlike a spinning reel where you 'load up' the rod to help propel the lure, you want to keep a smooth motion back and forth maintaining an even amt of tension on the line. otherwise try the roll cast: with the rod 90 degrees from you target and a foot or so line out, swing the lure toward the target and in a circle. when the lure gets to the bottom release and point the rod at the target.

good luck

NM :yes:

Thats some really great advise Nitro, I never heard of the tape trick.

I am really greatfull to my buddy Solgrande who turned me on to this site. And who by the way recommended the higher gear ratio to me.

What a great bunch of guys. :yes:

I cant take credit for the tape trick, its been around for a while. happy to share the tips that i picked up when I was learning (I'm still fine tuning the technique actually)

Gustofson- shoulda guessed by your muskie comment in an earlier post that you and Bob were in cahoots ;) That wasn't you with him when he and I crossed paths on Seneca a few weeks ago, was it?

Kwatchi- there are a ton of cabellas combos. I would suggest narrowing it down to a couple of reels you like and find a combo that includes it. IMHO, the reel the critical component because of the moving parts and they won't steer you wrong on a rod as long as they paired the two to do what you want it to. on that note, what do you want to use it for? bass, pike, muskie, other? myself and some guys on here might be able to help you narrow the reel down to some that are good but affordable 8)

NM

oops I now see in the first post: LM :$

again, the citicas come reccommended as do the Revo line from Abu Garcia as offering good bang for the buck and are both good bass reels. from there I would look to find a combo that fits your budget range. the citica fish eagle II combo looks to be a good value.

No Nitro it was not me. I was bullhead fishing that day. I do however look forward to meeting, we fish a lot of the same waters so Im sure our paths will cross. I am planning to be at Chatauqua for the opener in June. It is questionable though because work is slow and hours are being cut, but hopefully not for long.

How bout you?

Yes, I'm certain we will given our similar interests. :yes:

I'm still debating where I'll head for the june opener. thinking either Chaut or Waneta but I'm leaning Chaut since I found out there is a bass tourney on Waneta that day :swear: ...of all the lakes and days to pick...but thats another story.

Hoping to get down to the Allegheny sometime in the interim to feed the need (they don't have a closed season) :clap: but we'll see how things shake out

• 3 weeks later...

Well I picked up a BSP extreme reel with graphite 6'6 rod. Put 14lb mono on it and i'm doing well, got the clutch figured out i think, but getting the brake where i want it is tough. I can pitch and flip pretty well. Any advice on increasing casting distance?