line for spring browns?

I have to respool my brown setups this year. What brand and lb. test does everybody use? Last spring I used 8 lb test. I didn't get out much but it seemed way to light. I was thinking of going w/ 12lb test with flourocarbon leaders (not sure if the leaders would be necessary). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are going to use flourocarbon for the first time this spring. We are running about 8' leads of 15# Seagaur for browns. The main line is power pro 30#, as the rods and reels are used for heavier duty uses in the summer time. We will just cut off the leaders when we switch to the off shore setups.

We used to use 15# berkely big game as a leader for shallow water browns in the spring and fall, several people suggested flourocarbon, we'll see if it is any better..

20 lb flea flicker with 200 foot of 8 lb test pline 100% flourocarbon on top. When the fleas start showing up I cut the 8 lb floro back as needed. By the time they are in full flea bloom I'm down to about 15 foot of 8 lb and the flea flicker does it's job. Before the fleas start I got straight 8 out there.

Glen

We use 30lb flea-flicker as the main line and use 20lb fluoro leaders.

Last year my dad and I had a contest to see who's set-up would catch more fish. He was using 6 lb spider wire and I used the set-up listed above. With the same lure on both rods, fished on both sides of the boat, my set-up out fished his 4 to 1!! :P From what I have heard, fish cannot see fluoro line regardless of the test. My line looked like rope compared to his, yet I caught more fish. So that's what we will be using this coming weekend!! 8)

Hey Al, give me a shout! You're more than welcome to hop aboard our vessel and I'll show you our salmon & trout slayers. :P

I switched to 12 last yr from always running 17. I bought a 1lb spool of 12 and I hope to use it up this yr. Then Im going back to 17. 12 just isnt strong enough if you snag bottom. Never noticed a catchrate difference in the two lines.

Im probably in the minority here but Im not at all happy with florocarbon.In my experience it becomes brittle after a big fish gives it a good stretch and breaks on the next one.

If the browns are there and they are on the bite speed and color are much more important.

Once July hits, we switch our 20lb 50' fluoro leaders over to 50lb fluoro leaders (~25 ft leaders). We solely use Seaguar fluoro and it never wears out for the most part all season unless it rubs on something and gets frayed or nicked. It is the same fluoro that we use for retying our flies.

Thanks for the input guys. Lots of help. I know I've got to go heavier after reading the posts. Stix, I've heard other people say they don't like flouro, especially in cold weather. Tim, Thanks for the invite . I'll definately take you up on that sometime.

Al