Stiff steering

mack2

Looking for some advice, I have some real stiff steering in my 04 Starcraft Fish Master 176. I think I've narrowed it down to the helm or cable, but I cant remove the cable form the motor, there doesn't appear to be enough room to slide it all the way out. Any ideas... Thanks

processed.jpeg

processed(1).jpeg

It's not real easy. Mine had sprayed in foam and a cardboard tube going threw it. I used a heavy gauge wire. Wrapped it around the old cable a twist tied it real good around the old cable. Taped it real good so the edges don't get caught in the cardboard tubing. Pull the old cable out to the front of the boat. Snip your wire off and use the wire to pull it back threw to the back in the same manner. If all fails and it gets caught on you other cables. Cut out your foam and replace the cardboard tube with flexible plastic tube so it is easier next time and replace the foam. I have done it both ways. When I replaced the tubing I made it big enough to run cables for kicker motor transducer cable ect.

Running the cable through the hull won't be a problem. Where I'm running into trouble now, is that I can't get the cable out of the motor because there isn't enough room to pull it all the way out.

The only option I see is to pull the motor which seems like a real headache. But hopefully there's some easier solution I'm not seeing. Thanks again

Two observations: 

Can you turn the motor whichever way makes the cable shorter?  Probably to the left, then get it to pull out by partially entering the gunnel hole.

If that cable cant come out and go straight into the motor, it will go bad again.  Ask me how I know...  I had to make a new hole in my gunnel to have the cable be able to go straight into the motor.

Slow down...no need to cut it yet. Disconnect the cable from the motor and move the motor by hand. If there is still a problem, it's the swivel bracket.

If all is good there, pull out as much cable as you can and spray the housing, the shaft, and the cable with some good penetrating oil. (WD-40 is not a good penetrating oil) Have somebody work the wheel back and forth as you wipe up all the mess. Keep at it and it will free up. It is most likely all plugged up with dried up grease. There are lots of videos on youtube. 

I've done all that, motor moves fine without the cable connected, cable is clean (no built up grease) and moves freely inside the tilt tube. With everything disconnected it is just as hard to turn the wheel. 

I didn't take the helm apart or anything but after removal I could hear it and feel it. Just to clarify removal from the motor. I cut the cable, pulled out 5 inches from the motor and cut again then the rest came out. Hope that makes sense? I installed baystar hydraulic steering kit rated for up to a 150 HP motor. Cost like $600 to $700 I think. Super easy to install. Comes with a new helm. Installing the new helm is the hardest part but it's not bad. When you remove the old helm you have a 2" hole. New helm is 2.5". Well the only way to make a 2" hole 2.5" is to get a 2.5" holesaw on an arbor then screw on a 2" hole saw as the guide. Go slow and it works great. Like I said, I think it's the best upgrade I ever did to my boat. Been on there at least a year now.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1