Hull cleaner

I finally just replaced the old Green Hornet with one that won’t sink hopefully.  It was docked for two months but I will be trailering it and want to clean it up.  What is a good cleaner to get the algae and scum off the bottom without hurting the gel coat?

I finally just replaced the old Green Hornet with one that won’t sink hopefully.  It was docked for two months but I will be trailering it and want to clean it up.  What is a good cleaner to get the algae and scum off the bottom without hurting the gel coat?

I just used on and off gel fiberglass hull and bottom formula and it did fantastic without hurting my gel coat

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I use Star Brite gel hull cleaner. I'm bottom painted but since installing the kicker and bracket one side of the boat sits lower in the water now and I get a scum line like 2-3" above where the bottom paint ends on the kicker side. Gel is easy to control and doesn't run as much (that stuff will remove bottom paint just and instantly rust a galvanized trailer just fyi). Wear gloves when applying and have a hose handy. 

I tried the cleaner sold at Walmart in the boating section. Spray it on and the scum disappears right before your eyes. Just hose it off. No scrubbing needed. Not sure of the name. Used on an Islander, did not remove any paint.

• 8 months later...

Choose less volatile, less toxic and more biodegradable hull cleaners too so it would be easy to maintain and care for them. Ensuring these marine cleaners do not pose any harm to living things, work surfaces or to the environment. Read on the product labels and follow directions for safe handling and application at designated place and temperature. Use only high quality and legitimate cleaners to keep your boat hull friendly to humans and marine life.