Mounting Hardware - Regular bolts vs Stainless

Hey Guys and Gals,

Need some help here :$:$ Come on all you scientists out there!!! :D:D

Remounting my electronics on the new horizontal dash board section of my aluminum boat. Is it a problem with using two different metals - stainless hardware and aluminum hull - will they react with each other and cause oxidation when we put through holes in the aluminum to mount the bases for the electronics? My son the electrician says we could use de-ox (whatever that is??). Or am I ok with using the stainless to mount them with?

Thanks,

Clarke

Stainless should not react with aluminum, but plain steel bolts will, I know from experience on the big truck with the aluminum wheels and the steel lugs. Road salt adds that extra chemical to really make the reaction cook.

Go with stainless. Just don't over-torque them. My '84 aluminum ride has not had any problems with any of the ss screws/bolts I've used. Shop around for the best deals on ss...they can get expensive. Try industrial supply houses -not boating stores.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Your son is referring to galvanic corrosion/reaction, and it can be an issue but probably won't.

It depends heavily on the type and preparation of the aluminum and the type of stainless steel being used. (304 being better than 400 in this situation).

Just use the goo, and move on with your day :)

• 3 weeks later...

Aluminum is at the lower end of the metal nobility chart while SS is at the upper end. You are less likely to have galvanic corrosion than if you used mild steel or even brass. If you are concerned, and that's not bad, you can use non-metallic washers between surfaces.

Also if using SS, a caution to NOT tighten too fast if using the ny-lock type nuts. When the nut and bolt get hot they will burr and snap off.

Edd