Copper Newby Questions???

I normally troll dipsies on Erie for walleye and steelhead and I’m planning to give copper wire a try and  spool two convector 45 reels with it for an upcoming fishing trip for salmon on Lake Michigan.  I’m thinking 300 feet of  45# copper (may have to go less)with the appropriate amount of backer and leader per the LOU posted guide.   As I understand it, I’ll need to let the full 300’ out  to get to the backer to use planer boards and this will run 55 to 112 feet deep Depending on trolling speed. 

Here’s where I need some experienced help!:

What are your target trolling speeds for salmon and trout through the year?

Recognizing the fixed amount of wire and it’s depth limits with the copper wire rods, i assume I use the downrigger and Dipsy divers to vary the depths of the rigs on the other rods? 

What depth variation do you typically run across the rods? (I’m planning to run 6) i.e. how much deeper/shallower should I run the rigger and dipsies?

Appreciate any advice and recommendations you can offer this copper newby!

23 minutes ago, Super G said:

I normally troll dipsies on Erie for walleye and steelhead and I’m planning to give copper wire a try and  spool two convector 45 reels with it for an upcoming fishing trip for salmon on Lake Michigan.  I’m thinking 300 feet of  45# copper (may have to go less)with the appropriate amount of backer and leader per the LOU posted guide.   As I understand it, I’ll need to let the full 300’ out  to get to the backer to use planer boards and this will run 55 to 112 feet deep Depending on trolling speed. 

Here’s where I need some experienced help!:

What are your target trolling speeds for salmon and trout through the year?

Recognizing the fixed amount of wire and it’s depth limits with the copper wire rods, i assume I use the downrigger and Dipsy divers to vary the depths of the rigs on the other rods? 

What depth variation do you typically run across the rods? (I’m planning to run 6) i.e. how much deeper/shallower should I run the rigger and dipsies?

Appreciate any advice and recommendations you can offer this copper newby!

2.2-3.0 down speed for salmon, I usually start at 2.5 and adjust from there. Some days they like it faster other days slower. Spring time trout 2.0-2.5, lakers 1.5-2.0.

Personally my downriggers are usually my deepest lines as they can get there with much less line out than anything else.

I start out with a pretty wide depth spread and adjust it as the day goes on. Marks on the sonar and bites will help you narrow down the most productive depths on that day. Hard to give exact numbers as it depends on what depth your fishing and the water temps at those depths.

Something to tell you down speed and temp will really increase your catch rate imo. Down speed is the most crucial I think, finding the thermocline is a good place to start but not as important as knowing if your trolling speed is correct. I set my spread initially according to temp but I adjust based on where I'm seeing fish on the sonar. Lots of good reports from just about any port on here, which should give you an idea of where to start but things change fast. Where ppl found fish yesterday, isn't necessarily where you will find them today. Cover ground, change things up until you find what's working. Goodluck!

@Super G I recently spooled up some 453 cold waters and they worked well for a 300 copper set up.  I used 50lb high viz braid for backer to hook to the boards.  FYI most people seem to have switched over to Weighed Steel these days, easier to work with, similar results.  

20 ft down for 100 ft out ... so 300 ft is getting you 60 ft down.

You'll be running 2.2 to 2.8 mph ... the depth above is achieved more in the 2.2 to 2.5 mph range.

Terminal tackle also impacts depth, a large paddle and meat rig will create more drag than say a clean spoon, and more drag "lifts" the line up so you lose depth.

Anyhow, I'd say if you stick to 2.5 mph, you'll be in the 50 ft to 60 ft range with 300 ft of copper.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ErieBuck said:

@FishingFool34 what temps do you use as as a starting point?  I've heard 45 degrees for kings, 55 for chrome?  

Yeah, 45-48 is a good starting point. I'll find that temp and start spreading lines around from there, have had goodluck with a meat rig well below temp. Once I start seeing marks I usually adjust to the marks even if they are out of those temps. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like my convector 45 will only hold 200' of 45# copper to have ample backer line length.  The depth charts say that will get me down to 40-50 ft at 2.5 to 2 mph respectively.   Is it best to run the copper line at that depth and further out?   Do I use snap weights if I want to go deeper?   Where do you attach them?

Thinking i'll run Downrigger out the back, copper off a walleye board, and a dipsy diver.  where should I run the dipsy? Between the downrigger and copper lines?  (I'm seeing advice to run deeper lines nearer the boat).

Super G - I don't have any experience with adding snap weights to copper, but I personally would put the weight on the backer just past the copper connection.  

As far as your setup, you'll have the riggers, then the dipseys, then the copper ... as you get further from the boat.  Put the dipseys in rod holders that point straight out from the side of the boat, with rods that are long enough to clear the riggers.  Put the dipseys on a 2 or 3 setting to get them away from the boat (and your riggers).  

Good luck!