Jump to content

Seneca Empire Pass Not Excepted at Sampson or Seneca Launches


Recommended Posts

This subject may have been covered before but, Seneca Resorts will not except empire passes for launch. When I bought my pass, the Empire Pass webpage said Sampson and Seneca parks/launches excepted it (it still does). Has anyone else run into this, and what do you think? Seneca Resorts people said they don't have the "equipment" process the passes. We taxpayers paid for the launches, it's bad enough we have to pay the state anyway, now a third company wants us to pay.

 

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-75-million-project-renew-marina-and-offer-long-term-camping-sampson

 

Yes, they have some money invested but they should be making it back off the slip rentals, gas, store sales, and cabin rentals. Not the boat launch.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were sold down the river by King Cuomo. He didn't want ot lay out the money to fix things up so that is what the tax payers ended up with. Samsen is a gorgeous launch but it shouldn't be privately controlled same for Seneca lake State Park launch. The issue should have been put to the public for a vote before doing what he did but once again King Andy does whatever he wants....and after he is king or maybe the Teflon Don would be more accurate.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have calls into my representatives. I suggest everyone do the same. My guess is if this works, all parks and launches could be in private enterprise hands. They will be able to charge what they want at the launches.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To late to **** about it now . 3 to 4 years ago was the time to opposed it . At that time I heard sessler got the North marina and boat launch also but haven't seen any thing happen yet so the state park pass will work at Lodi also. Dont let Seneca Lake Resorts have any of your money . They didnt even want the derby there . The place is for haves not the have nots ..........!

 

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, tiogaguy said:

I have calls into my representatives. I suggest everyone do the same. My guess is if this works, all parks and launches could be in private enterprise hands. They will be able to charge what they want at the launches.

 

Best way to proceed at this point.

Edited by spoonfed-1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if you pay at the kiosk right before the main gate and get the ticket from it you don't pay the park fee just the $7.00 launch fee if you have the Empire Pass but it still sucks that is no longer a public marina or venue.  I'm starting to see why so many people have left the state:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like it is contradictory to the program. Here is a link to the NYS Parks page that lists all locations where you should be able to use it.

https://parks.ny.gov/documents/admission/EmpirePassCardGuidelines.pdf

 

I have been trying to find out why I can't utilize the Golden Park Program at the Irondequoit Bay State Boat Launch. The program allows state residents that are 62 and older to enter state parks and use state launches free on non-holiday weekdays. Even though they revamped the launch, the pay machine doesn't have the drivers license scanner, like at other State Launches such as Conesus Lake so you can scan your license and get a launch ticket for free. The town of Irondequoit is overseeing the launch but it is a NYS launch. And on the page link above, it says;

 

For information about facilities where this program is valid, contact the nearest state park,
state park regional office or:

New York State Parks
Albany, New York 12238
518-474-0456
TTY/TDD through 711 Relay Service

*free vehicle access not valid at Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park, Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park, Fahnestock Winter Park, and Oak Orchard State Marine Park.

 

There is no mention of IBay in the list of excluded sites.

 

Has anyone had problems using the Golden Parks Program at other sites that should be included?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

You guys are right they should probably give it back to the state so it can be a s*** hole again

Don't remember anyone saying that. Just saying the Empire Pass should be honored. Can't believe the equipment is that expensive or technical to put into place.  After all, they  spent 7.5 million to renovate Sampson (most of which was taxpayer dollars), whats another few bucks to scan an Empire Pass. 

 

I have a call into Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation for what its worth.

 

Since the Finger Lakes Times carried the article, maybe they would be willing to ask a few questions on the fishermen's behalf.  I'll call them tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tiogaguy said:

Don't remember anyone saying that. Just saying the Empire Pass should be honored. Can't believe the equipment is that expensive or technical to put into place.  After all, they  spent 7.5 million to renovate Sampson (most of which was taxpayer dollars), whats another few bucks to scan an Empire Pass. 

 

I have a call into Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation for what its worth.

 

Since the Finger Lakes Times carried the article, maybe they would be willing to ask a few questions on the fishermen's behalf.  I'll call them tomorrow.

Good luck Karen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, fisherdude said:

To late to **** about it now . 3 to 4 years ago was the time to opposed it . At that time I heard sessler got the North marina and boat launch also but haven't seen any thing happen yet so the state park pass will work at Lodi also. Dont let Seneca Lake Resorts have any of your money . They didnt even want the derby there . The place is for haves not the have nots ..........!

 

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

 

 

 

 

 

 

What is the story behind them not wanting the trout derby weigh in there?  I was told they couldn't get anyone to volunteer to run a weigh in station.   But I would be curious to know if they were actually denied access to have it there.  That would be absolutely ridiculous and stupid on their part.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read it on LOU during the Derby post. The post from a very reputable member it said seneca lake Resorts was in cooperative.

What is the story behind them not wanting the trout derby weigh in there?  I was told they couldn't get anyone to volunteer to run a weigh in station.   But I would be curious to know if they were actually denied access to have it there.  That would be absolutely ridiculous and stupid on their part.  


Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, muskiedreams said:

I have been trying to find out why I can't utilize the Golden Park Program at the Irondequoit Bay State Boat Launch. The program allows state residents that are 62 and older to enter state parks and use state launches free on non-holiday weekdays. Even though they revamped the launch, the pay machine doesn't have the drivers license scanner, like at other State Launches such as Conesus Lake so you can scan your license and get a launch ticket for free. The town of Irondequoit is overseeing the launch but it is a NYS launch.

I did find out what to do about the Golden Park Pass for Irondequoit Bay. I now have a pass that I found out that NYS residents over 62 can get from the Irondequoit Recreation Dept. located at 154 Pinegrove Ave in Irondequoit. It is good for one year (expires in March) and is just an extension of the Empire Pass system but only good for non-holiday weekdays. I also plan on talking to the Irondequoit Dept of Public Works to see if they can install a machine at the launch that is capable of scanning a driver's license like the one at Conesus. State residents come here from all over the state and should be able to utilize the program without having to go to a town office for a pass.

 

I hope this is useful to some of you. I told the woman at the recreation center I will spread the word so she might be issuing more permits. Maybe this info will be helpful at other launches also.

Edited by muskiedreams
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Get used to it.. the state is broke and wants little to do with spending a  fortune to fix a state marina... I read with great interest right on these pages, many members here giddy with anticipation at the thought of a private money making enterprise administering the marina and ramp.. I knew before they ever   lifted  single board of a dock exactly what would happen.. They are there to make MONEY, not to provide a service for payers of state taxes.

 

 I thought the ramp was fine as it was .. Getting weathered and dated looking, but nothing  a little dredging, some dock work could not have fixed... Still saw lots of 20-25 footers going in and out without many issues.. The money went into the marina and  supporting facilities to appease the Cabin cruiser set with big pockets... I never understood all the glee i saw during the "Upgrading"... bob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seneca resorts is definitely after the money. I have a seasonal site there and launch was free last year. This year 100 for the season. I pay them enough already that it should have continued to be free. It was the only place I found a site by the water so I took it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spages said:

Seneca resorts is definitely after the money. I have a seasonal site there and launch was free last year. This year 100 for the season. I pay them enough already that it should have continued to be free. It was the only place I found a site by the water so I took it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

 Of course, that was the reason the ""partnered"" with NY state.. to make money.. Funny thing is, Sampson is more crowded than ever before, so I guess they did something right.. Personally I liked it a LOT better before  all the 'improvements".... bob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I just received this message from my inquiry to the NYS Parks Dept. about the Ibay launch. So I guess the only recourse you might have is to look at the particular agreement and also the written policy of whomever made the agreement with the state for each launch. If there is no mention of honoring the Empire State or Golden Parks program then all you can do is try to get them to change it somehow.

 

Good afternoon-

 

I received your note about the Golden Park Program usage at Irondequoit Bay.  You are correct, the Town of Irondequoit does operate and maintain the Irondequoit Bay State Park under a cooperative agreement with New York State Parks. The Town operates and maintains the facility at their expense and as such, an agreement was negotiated where hours of operation, opening/closing of the launch and facilities, and all park fees are determined by them. 

 

The Golden Park Program and Empire Passes are honored at Irondequoit Bay but unfortunately our other State Parks have different systems than the Town and the pay station in place does not have the ability to scan passes or NYS issued IDs.   Passes can be obtained at Hamlin Beach State Park or issued at the Irondequoit Town Hall Recreation Dept.  This pass is to display on your vehicle for local law enforcement performing compliance checks.  The pass is only valid at Irondequoit Bay State Marine Park. Other Parks facilities will still verify with attendants or use of the pay stations that have the ability to scan Empire Passes and State issued IDs.

 

Although we do have a sign near the pay station, we will work on making this information clearer and more accessible on our website.

 

Thank you for reaching out to us and we look forward to helping you get a pass to use at Irondequoit Bay. 

 

Arthur Briley

Acting Regional Director

New York State Parks- Genesee Region

1 Letchworth State Park

Castile, NY 14427

Phone: 585-493-3601

Email: [email protected]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...