It's the opening  week of bass season and I've never seen so many pro style/equipped bass boats working the area from Clayton to Alex Bay. Is there some kind of tournament going on or are folks just out enjoying the area? Got to be good for the motels and bait shops and most notably, gas stations. Publicity appears to have drawn a lot of out-of-staters.

Yeah all the big names going to be there - pretty big event.  We had them coming down our docks two wide.....

IMG_8962.jpg

The bass we caught in that area weren't exactly the ones I think they were looking for......

IMG_8960.jpg

• Like 5

Personally these bass tournament boats are super annoying.  They come through our area with these ugly boats, huge motors, and fish finding tech that borders on unfair chase.

They pick off the big females from the points of our shoals and take them 30 miles downriver.

They horse their fish in with these heavy lines, pop them in the live well, and off they go to the next waypoint on their computer that they input when they "prefished" with the sonar the previous day.

I know they bring money to the north country, but for those of us who have been up in the 1000 islands for generations, to see these yahoo's blow through our little fishing spots with the nascar outfits and the gaudy 300hp boats, we call em the human cormorants.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Personally these bass tournament boats are super annoying.  They come through our area with these ugly boats, huge motors, and fish finding tech that borders on unfair chase.
They pick off the big females from the points of our shoals and take them 30 miles downriver.
They horse their fish in with these heavy lines, pop them in the live well, and off they go to the next waypoint on their computer that they input when they "prefished" with the sonar the previous day.

I know they bring money to the north country, but for those of us who have been up in the 1000 islands for generations, to see these yahoo's blow through our little fishing spots with the nascar outfits and the gaudy 300hp boats, we call em the human cormorants.

Haha agreed but I think the proper name would be Basshole!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 9:07 AM, nasc620 said:

The MLF tournament that is going on now they weigh the fish on the spot then let them go.

Thats so great to hear.  Was hoping the tourneys would evolve to a pure catch n release like that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like jealousy. We put a lot of money and time in our equipment. I'm a local that is tired of the "locals" aka people from Rochester, buffalo, not even close to here, that think they own the river cause they have 1/10 of an acre. Get over it, some people fish for a living to get by as it's their passion. No, instead we gotta put up with people like the above that complain about everything. Get over it. Tournaments are going to happen. And I bet the ones complaining are the ones who drive their barely water worthy boat down the river half on plane creating a giant wake that destroys the shorelines, beats boats of docks, about throws others out I their boats, but that's ok.

Sent from my E6910 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds like jealousy. We put a lot of money and time in our equipment. I'm a local that is tired of the "locals" aka people from Rochester, buffalo, not even close to here, that think they own the river cause they have 1/10 of an acre. Get over it, some people fish for a living to get by as it's their passion. No, instead we gotta put up with people like the above that complain about everything. Get over it. Tournaments are going to happen. And I bet the ones complaining are the ones who drive their barely water worthy boat down the river half on plane creating a giant wake that destroys the shorelines, beats boats of docks, about throws others out I their boats, but that's ok.

Chill out already , neither money nor passion allows anyone to behave disrespectful of other people

On 7/10/2021 at 6:12 AM, Team Perch Lake Effect said:

Definitely don't think I own the river, although watching my kids (4th generation of river rats) enjoy it as much as my grandparents did probably makes me a little overprotective of the area.

My issue is the technology has gone so far past fair chase that it's laughable.  The sonar tech was bad enough, but now we see the tournament guys 20 feet off our breakwall looking into these cones that go into the water and they can actually see the fish now with these devices.  They're harassing these poor breeder bass into reaction strikes and horsing them into their boats, then off they go watching their tv screens for the next victim.

Sorry but that makes me sick to my stomach, its unsportsmanlike and so far removed from what I believe fishing should be.  These bass don't stand a chance and these tourneys that don't release fish on the spot are out of touch with reality.

I'm glad its dumping rain right now on the river, maybe they'll take the hint.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 3:12 PM, KevinFarrell said:

Definitely don't think I own the river, although watching my kids (4th generation of river rats) enjoy it as much as my grandparents did probably makes me a little overprotective of the area.

My issue is the technology has gone so far past fair chase that it's laughable.  The sonar tech was bad enough, but now we see the tournament guys 20 feet off our breakwall looking into these cones that go into the water and they can actually see the fish now with these devices.  They're harassing these poor breeder bass into reaction strikes and horsing them into their boats, then off they go watching their tv screens for the next victim.

Sorry but that makes me sick to my stomach, its unsportsmanlike and so far removed from what I believe fishing should be.  These bass don't stand a chance and these tourneys that don't release fish on the spot are out of touch with reality.

I'm glad its dumping rain right now on the river, maybe they'll take the hint.

Here's a direct quote from the article on the guy leading the Waddington tourney

"Essential to his execution was Johnston’s use of a Flogger — a cone-shaped device with a clear, flat screen that sits at the water’s surface and allows him to view details below. Similar to looking through a dive mask, without the submersion, the Flogger provides key perspective that aids in presentation.

“It shows you your bait, it shows you where the fish is and it shows you the sweet spot,” Johnston said. “You’re seeing how the fish reacts to your bait. I can catch them eventually, but it just speeds up the process.”

Fish in a barrel.  Textbook definition of unfair chase and these guys are so far gone with their technology they don't even realize how ridiculous the sport has become.  He's actually SEEN the exact fish he's going to catch prior to the tourney and he seems to think its normal.

I have waited to post on this topic.  Kind of went sideways.  I have never seen, other than stream fisherman shouldn't keep steelhead argument, fisherman so divided as bass fisherman.  Live bait versus artificial and it goes on from there.  I don't think electronics catch fish.  I think fisherman catch fish.  I also think for me, personally, I like to keep it simple.  I fish with people with electronics and I will be honest.  sometimes it is nice to find fish quicker.  Other times I am bored and annoyed of just searching with the graph.  But with that said I don't like shrimp either but I don't give a rat's ass if you do.  That is how I feel about these really expensive rigs.  Not my money.  Speaking of money,  How many businesses in the thousand Islands region cares about what equipment they have?  The community is better off having them there. I loved that river as a kid.  Last two times I was there, I didn't feel it.  Zebra muscles have changed it a lot.  Makes me happy when I see Kevin and Prof T posting successful trips out.

If I offended you, I sincerely apologize, I know your heart is in the right place.  I just don't agree with your assessment.

MLF is the only tourny fish show I watch and it is because of the format.

I fish all species of fish in Lake  ontario and NY  state . And fishing in general for bass and Salmon trolling tech wise has gotten crazy . It gets better , and More intrusive each year . Bigger faster boats with  crazy better electronics , that see,everything and position you perfectly . And it's easy to get caught up in that .  I considered the tourney life but did not and am glad . 

I fish because I love to . I have a rag tag 16 ft Barely sea worth boat I absolutely love . Nothing beats being out first light , quiet, seeing wildlife , no pressure .

That might be hard for some to understand . 

When it becomes all about winning and competition , it would change it for me  . 

Some of these guys I see I wonder ... 

It seems they like the idea of being a pro  fisherman with all the glitz and fame more than they like fishing . 

• Like 2

Want an eye-opener?  Go to the marina where these superstars have to do their weigh ins about a day or two after they all pull out of town.  All around the docks you're going to see a whole bunch of dead bass that these "pro" fishermen just threw out on the parking lot and the shoreline.  Unfortunately, they are coming back to Waddington in August so you can expect to find at least two glitterboy boats in every spot you know pounding the water, dragging breeders out and running back to Waddington at 60+ MPH.

They don't even have the courtesy to give these fish away.  "Oh the seagulls will eat them!"  NO THEY DON'T!  They just sit there and rot.  It's disgusting to see and it happens every time they're here.

• 2 months later...

Today was another invasion of bass derby boats into my “space”. I completely understand that no one owns the water, as I’ve been a troller for more years than I care to remember. I get annoyed when a boat comes within 20 yards, completely ignoring me, then sets down right in front of my path. I caulked it up to the ignorance of today’s youth on the derby trail. What happened to common sense?

To those that think bass tourneys are a "good" thing...  Go to the weigh in/release area  a day or two after, and look at all the dead bass.. BIG breeders...  Do you REALLY think that a bass can stand being thrown into a livewell for hours and then smashed against the fiberglass as the boat rockets all over the lake at 50 MPH.??.. Cayuga was once considered one of the very best LMB lakes in the entire US.. For YEARS!... Then the tournaments started   every year by the dozen... They  decimated the northern end of that lake with the endless tournaments  that are "good for the  local economy"..

Sorry NOT buying it.    Whats good for the local economy is a good supply of fish that  average people want to come and catch, and will support local businesses  long term as they visit regularly...
 Tournaments one after another  just destroy a bass fishery.. Its nonsense to think they help it in any way at all... bob

I have to say I agree with Bulletbob’s feelings. I don’t think a tournament or two would create too much harm, but there seems to have been “an event “ every week, all summer. Good news for the small motels along Rt 12 and some small restaurants. But the impact on the fish has to be monumental. Local guides had some really lean years waiting for things to stabilize after the gobie invasion. I believe they would say there are not a lot of mid sized fish like there used to be, but the larger fish are real monsters making them attractive to the “pros”.

I started this thread because there is a real change to the congestion on popular spots, and 6:15 am launch up or down the river can be pretty hectic. Personally looking forward to a scaled back fall.

I stopped at the TI Bait Shop a couple weeks ago to fuel up a boat.  There were glitterboats all over the parking lot.  I asked the kid at the register if there was a tournament this weekend.  He rolled his eyes and said "there's a tournament every weekend."  I was then out on the water in the area near Singer Castle on the American side about 100 yards off shore.  This damn puddlejumper came past me in between me and the shore going probably 50+ MPH.  I was under power and making a turn toward the shore and it was only just dumb luck that I didn't choose to accelerate because this moron came at me from my blind side.  Had I increased my speed at all, he would have T-Boned me for sure.  I'm sorry but I have no love for these people.  I don't own a marina or a tackle shop, I don't own a motel, but I've lived here all my life and I have NEVER seen such inconsiderate, in to themselves people on this river as these so called "real fishermen."  I thank God that for the most part, they're gone for the rest of the season.  I have many friends who own bass boats but they also possess an ethical compass, born of experience up here that we once took for granted.  Not any more.  I mean really, this son of a **** barely missed me and there was NO room at that speed for him to make any kind of course correction.  And I know I'm not the only one this keeps happening to week after week.

On 9/26/2021 at 3:02 PM, Grady95 said:

I stopped at the TI Bait Shop a couple weeks ago to fuel up a boat.  There were glitterboats all over the parking lot.  I asked the kid at the register if there was a tournament this weekend.  He rolled his eyes and said "there's a tournament every weekend."  I was then out on the water in the area near Singer Castle on the American side about 100 yards off shore.  This damn puddlejumper came past me in between me and the shore going probably 50+ MPH.  I was under power and making a turn toward the shore and it was only just dumb luck that I didn't choose to accelerate because this moron came at me from my blind side.  Had I increased my speed at all, he would have T-Boned me for sure.  I'm sorry but I have no love for these people.  I don't own a marina or a tackle shop, I don't own a motel, but I've lived here all my life and I have NEVER seen such inconsiderate, in to themselves people on this river as these so called "real fishermen."  I thank God that for the most part, they're gone for the rest of the season.  I have many friends who own bass boats but they also possess an ethical compass, born of experience up here that we once took for granted.  Not any more.  I mean really, this son of a **** barely missed me and there was NO room at that speed for him to make any kind of course correction.  And I know I'm not the only one this keeps happening to week after week.

I had to actually stand up one morning when trolling and the guy is coming straight on me, at 50 yds that was close enough. I’m also glad their season is over. I can tell you a spot I fish was on TV recently getting a lot of bass attention, 5 boats showed up there together Saturday at 730, shut me right down.

There was a wonderful salt water sport fishing writer that  wrote several famous books on  fresh and saltwater angling, and was a regular  contributor/ writer in many outdoor mags  and was an editor for Salt Water Sportsman magazine for 20 years... Name was Frank Woolner.

Something he wrote about tournaments and angling  in general  many decades ago, has stuck in my mind for probably close to 45-50 years and I would like to share it,, very short and to the point-

"Angling should be a contemplative sport, NOT a competitive sport"

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

All I have to say is that I am grateful that it’s bass that are the targeted species for all of these multiple tournaments.  I like to fish for them when nothing else is biting, if I have the time.  With that being said it is no longer a sport the way they are fished for and it will continue to get worse as people demand instant gratification and bragging rights.  The weigh in station format needs to end. With the technology on these boats one of their multiple screens could be a tv monitor or some kind of fish verification method so fish can be immediately released to where they came from. Again, I’m glad these are bass we are discussing and not carp 🫣  

Well, what Great Lakes salmon fishermen spend on fishing isn't even a pimple on an elephant's but compared to bass fishermen.  When you see a "Salmon Pro Shops" catalog let me know. Or compare how much inventory in most tackle shops is devoted to bass gear vs, salmon gear.

Bass fishing is fun and takes way more skill than most will appreciate.  Salmon fishermen seldom if ever share the same water with bass fisherman so live and let live. What's wrong with people having fun?

BTW, I do both kinds of fishing and I find bass fishing a lot harder to consistently produce bites. 

Chuck