Outboard

kwatchi

Ok looking for some help. I got a 82 25hr Envinrude long shaft outboard I picked up last year. Had it looked over at the marina, had the lower unit pressure checked, passed with flying colors. The tech said the thing looked and ran great for its year and didnt' need anything else. Had him check it cuz it blew out some oil when I first ran it. Ran great all season, then started konking out on me. I'm about to pull it out of the basement. What it was doin is I'd give her a good pull, she'd start right up, rev up and then fade out withing 10-15 seconds, choke or no choke, throttle or none. I'm really hoping its pluggs so I can get it in the water, but...............I'm thinking I might be looking at a fuel delivery problem or dirty carbs.

I'd bet fuel & would do the easy things first. First I'd squirt some gas in a glass jar & look at it. Then I'd take fuel pump apart. Then I'd be tempted to take carbs and give them a good cleaning.

You may want to ask Hank (L&M) or on the iboats.com forum.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I had the same thing it was the carbs I am no boat mechanic but I took them off and cleaned them and had it running like new with in an hour all it takes is on tank of bad gas and your carbs get lots of gummy crap in the bottom. good luck with it.

like I said I am no mechanic but I just toolk mine righ off the power head 2 nuts on eather side holding it on and then the ball at the bottom is held on the carb with a screw you may have to buy the jets and stuff for the inside of the carb. I just got some carb clean and let it sit for a few min in the ball then it came right out. I hope this helps if you have the money you should buy a book on your motor they will tell you how to do it all or even if you run in to trouble call your local marina and the will some times try to help if they have time.

Kwatchi look at your gas tank hose line and inside your gas tank. The new blend of gasoline tends to break down the rubber hoses and plastic fittings on certain gas tanks. We had three plastic gas tanks with flakes in them that eventually plugged up the carbs on our outboards.

The pick up tube on the gas tanks just fell apart.

A product called Sea Foam will help keep your carbs and fuel system in good working order after you clean them.

It is a liguid you pour in your gas. I use it in a 115 hp outboard i troll with and it has made a big difference. About every fourth tank of gas i use it.