Meat Rigs with smelt

I see most if not all guys are using west coast herring for their meat rigs. With a great population on smelt in Lake O why not dip smelt in the spring and use those for the meat rigs? Seems like a more natural scent and presentation. 

Just now, J.D. said:

My largest king ever ( 34 lbs.) was caught on smelt jammed  into a Rhys Davis meat head.

avitar.jpg.00f0979dd37b88626886e54372e64e40.jpg 

Super, maybe others do use smelt in their meat rigs I have just never read about it or herd of it.

As you may or may not know sewn smelt is the best option here in New England for big Atlantics, brookies and lakers. Seems like a great option for the meat rigs

I don't know if this may be a prohibitive factor but the NYS DEC regulations require proof of virus free bait where live or dead. Even commercial bait is required to have the package information available. Certified virus free bait requires a receipt from the place where purchased and is good for 10 days from the sale. It is difficult or perhaps impossible to prove that bait came from a given body of water (the only acceptable alternative to purchase) where used. To date I have never been checked for the receipt but it could happen.

Edited by Sk8man

18 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I don't know if this may be a prohibitive factor but the NYS DEC regulations require proof of virus free bait where live or dead. Even commercial bait is required to have the package information available. Certified virus free bait requires a receipt from the place where purchased and is good for 10 days from the sale. It is difficult or perhaps impossible to prove that bait came from a given body of water (the only acceptable alternative to purchase) where used. To date I have never been checked for the receipt but it could happen.

Thanks for the clarification.  

16 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

Sk8man is rite. It is a big deal in the winter ice fishing around us If a game warden comes out that is usually the second thing he ask me for is a bait receipt after fishing licence.

Seems like they should put as much effort in bilge water from shipping vessels entering the Great Lakes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dip net smelt every spring on the North Shore of Superior.  I make up a herring brine and brine them and vacuum pack them in packs of 12.  I use them in regular meat Rig heads squash head a bit push in and peg with toothpick.  I use them 90% of the time time in my meat rigs on Superior for salmon and lakers and lake trout on Lake Nipigon.  They work awesome matching the hatch!

• Like 1