What are your favorite flashers?

Do you guys see any real difference between all the brands out there?   What have you found to be your go-to for divers, long lines, riggers?  I like the pro-troll e-chip stuff for big paddles for meat on riggers, but they don't seem to have the fancy color options that some of the others have to use them in 8 inch -- anyone out there custom painting them?  Spin doctors seem to be the standard people use for 8 inch it seems but just curious to hear what people like out there.   

10 hours ago, ifishy said:

Spin drs are very speed forgiving so they work well in a lot of spreads they are also adjustable for action this versitility makes them a favorite other styles work well but if I only had one it would be spin docs

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On your Spin drs. which hole do you hook your fly 1) hole closest to fins = less action, 2) other hole = more action?  

The past couple of years, I have had better luck running Echips over Spin Doctors.  The Custom painted stinger paddles in Hammertime, Live Wire, white double crushed UV and UV two face have been good for me,  

• Like 2

Thanks Gambler good to know Stinger has an e-chip line.  I ordered several Stinger paddles recently in some great colors (fat nancy, green jeans) but they didn't have the e-chip unfortunately, I must have ordered the wrong ones.  

3 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

Thanks Gambler good to know Stinger has an e-chip line.  I ordered several Stinger paddles recently in some great colors (fat nancy, green jeans) but they didn't have the e-chip unfortunately, I must have ordered the wrong ones.  

Stinger now is making their own blades as they were acquired by Gibbs Delta.  The older one were painted on Protroll echip blades.  The newer stinger blades are identical to the protrolls with the exception that they don't have an e-chip.  

3 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

Thanks for the heads up as I wasn't haven't any luck finding them!  Looks like will need to stick with pro-troll colors if I want the e-chip?

You can buy the echips and epoxy them onto the flasher.  

• Like 2

If you’re running meat (you should be) def get some of the kingfisher/fish n chip style flashers as well.  I’ve also got some west coast shortbus 11” paddles that have been very effective (no echip).  Got a new Gibbs flasher I can’t wait to get in the water….these flasher are not as speed forgiving as spin doctors (seem to take more fish at a little slower speed) and 11+” flashers have more drag and can make fish act weird when u get them near the boat….but man are they effective for chinook.

If you’re running meat (you should be) def get some of the kingfisher/fish n chip style flashers as well.  I’ve also got some west coast shortbus 11” paddles that have been very effective (no echip).  Got a new Gibbs flasher I can’t wait to get in the water….these flasher are not as speed forgiving as spin doctors (seem to take more fish at a little slower speed) and 11+” flashers have more drag and can make fish act weird when u get them near the boat….but man are they effective for chinook.

Nice, I haven’t tried any of the fish blades yet will have to pick up a few. I’ve seen the o’ki and salmon candy ones will have to check out Gibbs

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 6/29/2021 at 8:46 AM, ErieBuck said:

Very cool, great to know!  will save me some money for sure.  Looks like they make a kit: #2043 Contains - 3 large EChips.  

I use them right on my shark type downrigger weights for the past 5 or 6 years unclear whether it is them or the setups that work  but I'm superstitious so I keep them on:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I use them right on my shark type downrigger weights for the past 5 or 6 years unclear whether it is them or the setups that work  but I'm superstitious so I keep them on:lol:

You put the fish blade flashers behind your sharks? Makes sense! I run sharks too. You run 12lb or 15lb?

:lol: I was talking about the large size echips. I have them on my rigger weights. Now that I look at my post I wasn't clear about it:smile:

weightEchip1.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

11 hours ago, Jomat said:

With the short bus flashers, are you running meat rigs, flies or spoons? With the pure rotational movement of the shortbus I was curious if flies/meat would get the same action as a traditional flasher.

Thanks,

-Chris 

12 hours ago, C3M said:

With the short bus flashers, are you running meat rigs, flies or spoons? With the pure rotational movement of the shortbus I was curious if flies/meat would get the same action as a traditional flasher.

Thanks,

-Chris 

Shortbus makes the triangle rotary flashers but they also make 11” paddles, check out their website.  Big paddle flashers are a staple out on the west coast/Columbia river and also the ocean fishery with cut herring behind them.  I run meat rigs behind the 11”ers.  Behind the triangle rotary flashers u can run pretty much whatever u want (I like to run meat with no teasers).  If u walleye fish try running the small rotary flasher directly off ur bottom bouncer rig with a worm harness or gambler rig behind it.

• Thanks 1

Shortbus makes the triangle rotary flashers but they also make 11” paddles, check out their website.  Big paddle flashers are a staple out on the west coast/Columbia river and also the ocean fishery with cut herring behind them.  I run meat rigs behind the 11”ers.  Behind the triangle rotary flashers u can run pretty much whatever u want (I like to run meat with no teasers).  If u walleye fish try running the small rotary flasher directly off ur bottom bouncer rig with a worm harness or gambler rig behind it.

Are their 11s similar to protroll?

I am more and more partial to the 8" pro troll with the agitator fin . But I like the spin Dr as well . 

For big I like the Hot Spots or Big shooters . 

But white of some sort is my go to color . Glow or UV 

Edited by HB2

Anyone ever run the 10 inch spin doctors off divers? If so, when and with what behind them?

I have a handful of them but not sure if I should waste valuable time with all the other good stuff in the boat. I have 10+ 8 inch in both e chip and spin dr.

For meat I typically run the 11” paddles or 13” fish blades off riggers. Or will put a meat head behind an 8inch

I like running a black diver w/ 10" carbon 14/carbon 14 meat rig or a chrome black mamba/night fury meat rig on the deep divers.  If I can't get black to fire, I am running a white crush glow 10" with some version of white meat rig.  Everyone has their favorite that fires though.  If I run a 10" black spinnies, its normally in that 70'-90' down window.  Otherwise, I am running white/glow deeper..

good info thanks @relaxer.  Makes sense to run meat behind the bigger spinny w/ diver.  Interesting black and white are your go to!  Don't mess with the green??  I have a number white glow/crush and white with different tape color combos, but I think I only have 1 black flasher, an 8 inch black/uv spinny.   I have lots of stuff with black accents/dots but not mainly black.  Doesn't look like many on the market besides the carbon 14   

I run green and chromes...often on a high diver or later in morning or depending on conditions.  Just not in 10" spinnies.  Black green dot 8" w/ #57 glow frog or #4 Mooneye and sea sick spinnie w/ glow stud are good blacks for me in the right conditions. Green/chrome 8" spinnies I like.... stud, UV 2 face, chin music, dragon slayer, white /green dot and white 2 face.  I keep it simple and start with a stud or glow stud fly behind these and switch from there (sometimes to blue/green hammer, pro am, UV 190).

In a smaller boat, I personally do better with a spinnie versus a paddle because of the speed tolerance of a spin doctor.  If it's flat, I mix in paddles and let the fish dictate.  Can be a little hard to control speed in a small boat with down current and chop so I lean on spin doctors or OKI flasher.  

Just find what works for you (pattern, spread, conditions) and repeat is the best advice though.

• Like 1

how much do you pay attention to glow vs. non glow?  Obviously early in the morning or down deep (how deep is deep??) glow is theoretically more effective... but is there any harm running glow in higher light situations?  I suppose something with UV or in combination UV/Glow would be more reflective in higher light situations --- BUT sometimes too flashy isn't good either...