Sandy pond channel

From the Sandy pond channel maintenance association:

NY Marine Services have pulled all the buoys in the channel until a permanent solution can be found we will not be able to get a channel marked even if we dredge a full channel at the required 4’. We need people to share this information and to contact elected officials if this makes you angry or upset. SPCMA has always tried to maintain a channel by themselves and the help of the Town of Sandy Creek - At this time State and Federal funding is desperately needed!!! Future dredging could place sand on the North and South alternating … Dredge before April 1 st and in the Fall … get as much sand out of the channel and pond as we can. Place sand on private lands to the North and South. This ultimately will restore the barrier beach that protects the pond. We will be getting a form letter out for people to send. The 4 th of July is fast approaching and we need people to know there are no markers out there except for the rocks pile on the lakeside. Boat safely and have have a great weekend.

Be careful using the inlet very shallow and now unmarked by buoys

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Thanks! That place took a beating during our high water seasons. Dredging to replace the sand barriers makes the most sense to me.

The dredging was halted by the DEC due to the presence of the piping plover. An endangered species.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chinook35 said:

The dredging was halted by the DEC due to the presence of the piping plover. An endangered species.

That makes it a really tough battle to improve the situation. Sucks for everyone involved and affected.

From the Sandy pond channel maintenance association:

NY Marine Services have pulled all the buoys in the channel until a permanent solution can be found we will not be able to get a channel marked even if we dredge a full channel at the required 4’. We need people to share this information and to contact elected officials if this makes you angry or upset. SPCMA has always tried to maintain a channel by themselves and the help of the Town of Sandy Creek - At this time State and Federal funding is desperately needed!!! Future dredging could place sand on the North and South alternating … Dredge before April 1 st and in the Fall … get as much sand out of the channel and pond as we can. Place sand on private lands to the North and South. This ultimately will restore the barrier beach that protects the pond. We will be getting a form letter out for people to send. The 4 th of July is fast approaching and we need people to know there are no markers out there except for the rocks pile on the lakeside. Boat safely and have have a great weekend.

Be careful using the inlet very shallow and now unmarked by buoys

Here’s a very recent picture of the inlet. It’s almost impassable IMG_2118.JPG

• Like 1

Todd thank you for the article link info. As a camp owner on the North pond I can tell you frustrations are real in the area as well as the extremely low water levels! So for now, dock and tow to Mexico launch every time.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys, any updates on this situation? We rented a place up on Sandy next month with the intention of accessing Lake O. If that's off the table we may cancel.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Photos of the channel yesterday after the heavy rain
The currents were very strong - it moved a lot of sand and widened the entrance which was getting very narrow..
it is passable but still not marked

The inlet is constantly changing day to day. Winds and storms bring sand or take sand The channel is not marked by buoys as in past years. I doubt that any boat over 20’ can safely navigate this channel. The plus side is that it’s mostly sand. One Rock pile to starboard as you leave the pond. You may lose some paint on prop and skeg I’ve had to get out and push a few times in previous years. The water is VERY low this year. Use caution. The pond is a great place , but the inlet has some serious problems
IMG_2175.JPGIMG_2176.JPG

Hey guys, any updates on this situation? We rented a place up on Sandy next month with the intention of accessing Lake O. If that's off the table we may cancel.

Sean25,
Just clarifying that you’re reservation are on Sandy Ponds Oswego Co. there sometimes is confusion with The Sandy western Rochester area. Like already explained, water levels have been extremely low on LO this year so much caution in needed regardless of where you will be launching if things don’t change level wise by then. The “Ponds are relatively quiet during the week and there is plenty of bass,pike, perch, crappy etc to play around on down time if LO is unfishable. I agree about the size boat going out of the channel to the lake. Please ask locals or marina about passage,as if you go wrong around isl. you will be on a sand bar. If you have a larger LO equipped boat there are other options not to far to trailer your boat to launch. Selkirk Shores has a smaller launch @ Pine Grove on estuary and further is Mexico Pt. State launch. Overall nice quiet area within reason to several tackle shops and grocery etc. Most importantly look at your options if the lake blows up! Hope this helps.. best of luck.

Glenn,

Thanks for all the information. We decided to keep our reservation on Sandy (Oswego Cty) for all the reasons you described. I really feel for all the folks and businesses impacted up there by the ongoing issues with the channel. I've got a 17' Lund Rebel so we can just trailer it down the road a bit.

Sean