new to the game

i will be fishing out of port ontario would appreciate any tips on dept and speed  i already am set up with spoons and hoochies  only running 1 down rigger  and will be running fish seekers of boards  and my boats only 16 ft but hqndles the ocean fine 

The major difference between Ocean waves & Big-O waves is that Big-O waves are much much steeper.  So watch your weather!  3 ft waves on Big-O will really bounce you around.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• Like 1

thanks been on the lake in  little skiff rental  many years ago started out like glass couple hours latter  real rough but still was ok  will most likely be fishing off 9 mile  when i can get across mexico bay will be using a 16 ft lowe

00m0m_kd7IVTC5aUnz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by BAYONNE59
info

Nice looking boat.  Winds generally pick up on Big-O around 9:30-10:00ish am.  Winds at 15 knt out of west & Mexico can get real rough.  Good luck & stay safe out there.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

i will be fishing out of port ontario would appreciate any tips on dept and speed  i already am set up with spoons and hoochies  only running 1 down rigger  and will be running fish seekers of boards  and my boats only 16 ft but hqndles the ocean fine 

IMG_0785.JPG
This is an actual photo taken at Oswego harbor. This is what Lady O can become. Be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

As to depth, check out the weather forecast links on the left side of site.  "Great lakes coast forecast" does a good job of temp at depth.  Look for the 54F and below.  That will give you a great idea as to where to start withy your riggers.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

7 hours ago, LongLine said:

As to depth, check out the weather forecast links on the left side of site.  "Great lakes coast forecast" does a good job of temp at depth.  Look for the 54F and below.  That will give you a great idea as to where to start withy your riggers.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

thanks  not new to trolling just doing on the big o  we have 2 res with lakers  and one has land locks what about flashers never used any i see they use a bumpper in salt water do you need them in fresh

and have to get use to fishing less rods no limit in nj from boat its 3 per person in ny riight we run 10 -12 lines  even if only 2 in the boat and onlu running 1 electric  the rest are divers called fish seeker they dive to 80 ft we run them off the boards

Edited by BAYONNE59

"bumper"?  What we used to call "snubbers"?  I don't use them.  I run copoly to the flasher then straight mono to the fly.  12 lines & 2 guys on a 16 ft'r?  More power to you.  Some charters run that many lines around here, but they have 10 ft beams and keep their lines separated real well.   Boards are pretty hard to get out a ways if there's a chop on the lake.  Also, Kings are a lot more energetic than Lakers or Landlocks and most will cover a lot of water.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

11 minutes ago, LongLine said:

"bumper"?  What we used to call "snubbers"?  I don't use them.  I run copoly to the flasher then straight mono to the fly.  12 lines & 2 guys on a 16 ft'r?  More power to you.  Some charters run that many lines around here, but they have 10 ft beams and keep their lines separated real well.   Boards are pretty hard to get out a ways if there's a chop on the lake.  Also, Kings are a lot more energetic than Lakers or Landlocks and most will cover a lot of water.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

depends on wind on the 1 res its elec only 9,9 in the other but 10-12 no problem

16 minutes ago, LongLine said:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

i have a double big jon mast and big boards

• 2 weeks later...