Struggling again. It's not been a good year for me. Started out in 200 FOW, Trolled North. My two guests got sick immediately, so I had to take back in at 0730. First time on a boat. They should have taken the dramamine the night before. I caught one nice Coho on a 200 copper on a FF with 42nd SD in about 180 FOW just before I took them back to ramp. Went back out after dropping the sick ones at the dock. Went to about 200 FOW, nothing. Went to 305 FOW, nothing. Then it got rough. They missed the forecast.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

6 hours ago, garrymny said:

Struggling again. It's not been a good year for me. Started out in 200 FOW, Trolled North. My two guests got sick immediately, so I had to take back in at 0730. First time on a boat. They should have taken the dramamine the night before. I caught one nice Coho on a 200 copper on a FF with 42nd SD in about 180 FOW just before I took them back to ramp. Went back out after dropping the sick ones at the dock. Went to about 200 FOW, nothing. Went to 305 FOW, nothing. Then it got rough. They missed the forecast.

I fish out of Wilson but it should be pretty close to the same out of Olcott. Head out to 70fow and start trolling. I have started with a West troll which is down current running mostly green spoons at 2.5 GPS speed, adjusting speed according to the bend in the diver poles and the angle of the downrigger cables. Troll in a zigzag pattern between 80fof and 125fow looking for bait and fish marks. They pretty much always there.  My typical program is two riggers with free sliders and four DD set on 1.5 and 3.0. I set them back to fish over and under the temp break. You should see fish, bait and fleas that look like they're plastered against it. You will see big marks on the bottom which I figure are big Lakers or big Kings so I will drop a meat rig down there. Has worked sometimes but not always for me. If those fish are uncooperative I troll out to 200fow to 230fow. You may catch a ghost fish on your way and if you do mark the spot and work it a bit. The fish may only bite if you troll in the same direction. And the same goes if your getting marks and no bites change direction and go back through. This is just fishing 101 but it has worked well for us. The last day I fished was this past Thursday and we went 9/13 mostly teenage Kings a nice cohos and three very nice steelhead. Lost some screamers. Tight lines friend.

• Like 2

I fish out of Wilson but it should be pretty close to the same out of Olcott. Head out to 70fow and start trolling. I have started with a West troll which is down current running mostly green spoons at 2.5 GPS speed, adjusting speed according to the bend in the diver poles and the angle of the downrigger cables. Troll in a zigzag pattern between 80fof and 125fow looking for bait and fish marks. They pretty much always there.  My typical program is two riggers with free sliders and four DD set on 1.5 and 3.0. I set them back to fish over and under the temp break. You should see fish, bait and fleas that look like they're plastered against it. You will see big marks on the bottom which I figure are big Lakers or big Kings so I will drop a meat rig down there. Has worked sometimes but not always for me. If those fish are uncooperative I troll out to 200fow to 230fow. You may catch a ghost fish on your way and if you do mark the spot and work it a bit. The fish may only bite if you troll in the same direction. And the same goes if your getting marks and no bites change direction and go back through. This is just fishing 101 but it has worked well for us. The last day I fished was this past Thursday and we went 9/13 mostly teenage Kings a nice cohos and three very nice steelhead. Lost some screamers. Tight lines friend.
I never start that shallow I usually go out to about 150..... maybe I should start shallower. The trouble is if they are deep, by the time you troll all the way out it's late morning and the bite is over, always been a Catch 22 for me.....

Went again today, July 5 and caught 3. Lost 3. A little better day than so far this year for me. Only my 4th trip out I think though. Then it got rough so we gave it up around 4 pm. We were in 280 to 325 FOW. Didn't mark much. Set riggers at 40 and 55, then finished at 70. Tried 200 foot copper, two dipseys, two riggers. Mix of spoons, FF, and meat.