Glow Flasher with Glow Fly?

I’ve always paid attention to finding good coordinating color combinations for flasher/flys, but what about glow?

Should you match a glow flasher with a glow fly ? Does it matter ?

I was in my shop rigging up all my flasher fly combinations and then I turned out the lights and was surprised what I saw… flashers I thought were glow weren’t and vice versa, same for the flies…. I had glow flies on non glow flashers and glow flashers with non glow flies.

I’m trying to do better at paying attention to the smaller details to become a better fisherman… but if I’m overthinking this stuff please tell me to STFU!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Erie buck you're intuition is correct you should run a glow fly with a glow flasher the whole purpose for the glow is either in low light conditions or deep water presentation again low light so it makes sense that the fly should stand out as well as the flasher or at least be visible 

• Like 1

Thanks @Keep'n it Reel makes sense.  I'm going to label my glow flashers with a sharpie mark and probably separate them in a different box along with the glow flies.  Some of them are all glow but others just have a small piece of glow tape the ladderback in glow.   At what depth would you consider deep water, low light, assuming full sun.  > than say 70ft?

Erie buck you're intuition is correct you should run a glow fly with a glow flasher the whole purpose for the glow is either in low light conditions or deep water presentation again low light so it makes sense that the fly should stand out as well as the flasher or at least be visible 

Is there any harm in running glow stuff in normal daylight not super deep? I suppose if it was a partial glow with UV qualities it would reflect some light and be okay.

Yeah man, unfortunately I don't get to make it to Lake O more than a couple times a year... I fish primarily Lake Erie where the fishing is incredible but we don't have Kings!   so I have a lot more time to think and plan rather than the more fun technique -- trying and finding out.   I want to maximize the experience for my dad for our upcoming trip -- he's not in great shape -- could be his last.  Sorry for all my posts.    

hey Erie buck so no recipe is perfect except for the ones that work however imo glow should be kept for morning early hours and as the sun continues to get above the horizon start to gravitate towards uv colors the nice thing about the uv is its still effective deep as the fish are able to pick out uv at deep depths hope this helps 

hey Erie buck so no recipe is perfect except for the ones that work however imo glow should be kept for morning early hours and as the sun continues to get above the horizon start to gravitate towards uv colors the nice thing about the uv is its still effective deep as the fish are able to pick out uv at deep depths hope this helps 

Thanks, yes I’m learning bit by bit. You guys have really helped. Much appreciated. I Used to just randomly throw stuff out there and hope it worked. But paying attention to details and understanding certain situations has improved my success. With an approaching storm front and reduced light today, I changed up my spread to some mag glows and got two bites on raspberry carbon, one a trophy steelhead for Lake Erie, 10 lbs, jumped 7 times!! I also caught a COHO in Lake Erie today, running mini orange dodger and coho fly which I learned from @yankeetroller post. Seems to be decent amount of Coho in Lake Erie if you try.. strange must come down from Lake Huron ??

I have caught fish on it all different times .  But I usually fish  flashers below 50 ft . 

I find glow works well sometimes mid day high Sun for some reason . 

I’m guessing there’s no problem running glow during the day… it’s pretty dark down that deep. A bigger issue would be running UV when there’s not enough light to reflect.

I caught two monster steelhead in Lake Erie this week on glow, mid afternoon, ~40ft. Before I put glow on it was a slow day…