Waves kicked us off today at 9am but went 4/5 on spoons off rigger 50' n 60' down and mag off board in 120-150'.

Fishhawk told me 41 degrees at 58', new replacement probe so I hope it was ready right. Do people do like factory resets when they get a new probe?

Crazy to see the lake flip and get cold like that to a rookie 1st year Lake O wannabe salmon guy.fAYh5WFa-498820266.jpg20210709_074409.jpg

#1 lure of 4 Musky Inc National Champions in last 3 years.

• Like 2

strong winds in any direction can change the temperature structure drastically in the late summer a south wind can push the warm water out and cause an upwelling you will see cold water on the surface right out the front door so this year with the late set up the somewhat cooler weather recently having the warm water later thin out like that would not be suprising at all.  

this year especially with the changes in the way they are trying to manage the water levels the conditions in the lake are not what we are used to this time of year with the water still high and really just on the first part of of downward trend.  Instead its low and they are trying to slow the fall so there are different currents out there at least there have been for my boat this year.

strong winds in any direction can change the temperature structure drastically in the late summer a south wind can push the warm water out and cause an upwelling you will see cold water on the surface right out the front door so this year with the late set up the somewhat cooler weather recently having the warm water later thin out like that would not be suprising at all.  

this year especially with the changes in the way they are trying to manage the water levels the conditions in the lake are not what we are used to this time of year with the water still high and really just on the first part of of downward trend.  Instead its low and they are trying to slow the fall so there are different currents out there at least there have been for my boat this year.

We would see that first hand at our camp on Sandy pond. We had the pond in the back and the lake in the front. Go swimming in the evening on the lake side. Water like bath water Get up the next morning and jump in for an eye opener. And it definitely was an eye opener. Went from 70’s to low 50’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The near shore marine forecast posted for Rochester today (Sat July 10) listed the water temp off Rochester as 52 degrees.  That is the water temp of  the Monroe County Water Treatment Plant in Greece intake pipe which is something like 35 feet down.  So 41 degrees at 58 ft is most likely realistic.  A strong east-northeast wind persisting for 12-24 hours or more in the summer will often result in upwelling and the temp can drop 20-25 degrees in a day.  The mechanism that does this is kind of like what causes tornadoes to occur (wind shear:  winds going in opposite or crossing directions as you go up in height),  Same thing happens with the water in the lake:  flow beneath the surface is generally west to east; get a strong surface wind (east-northeast) and the water starts to rotate or upwell.  Cold water could persist for many days until (as someone said above) the northwest or west winds blow again and brings the warmer water back in.  I always look at that water temp posted for the near shore forecast for Rochester because that will give you and indication of what the actual water temp is at 35 ft and if you look at it every day it will give you information on whether the down temp (at least at 35 ft off Rochester) is getting warmer or colder.