Wire Dipsy

The weighted steel is over twice the diameter of trolling wire (0.036 vs 0.015), and I can't begin to calculate where your depth would run. I've not heard of anyone doing this...but it seems like it would be possible at least. But what do I know? Report back, success or catastrophe.

It is possible to do at low speed, but much more practical to just let out more line and reach the desired depth that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You're trying to combine two things that don't need to be combined... the whole point of dipseys and weighted steel are to get a lure down to a certain depth. Weighted steel sinks on its own at a known rate, and dispeys dive to certain depths with a known amount of line out. No need to combine the two when they can each do the job on their own. Wire is used on dipseys because it doesn't sink on its own and its narrow diameter will cut thru the water better than say braid or mono which allows the dipsey to get deeper with less line out (with added benefit of collecting less fleas and easier flea removal). Braid is used on dipsey diver by some and I've heard of mono being used but not usually for salmon due to the line stretch and depths we are trying to reach. Stick with wire or braid on dipseys for salmon.

• Like 1

As others state above, they are TWO different techniques.

For wire dipsey, you want a 7 strand or 19 strand 30 lb line 1000 ft long.

Attach the dipsey to the end of the wire, and add the tackle to the end of the dipsey... like paddle/fly or spoons.

Weighted steel doesn't get a dipsey ... it's thicker diameter, heavy .... and sinks without the dipsey.