Underwater obstructions at Mexico Point boat launch?

Launched out of Mexico Point on July 4th and fished for about 5 hours and came in. The wind was blowing pretty good making it a little harder than usual to get the boat up to the docks. Someone saw me struggling and offered to help catch and guide the boat to the dock so I ended up pointing the bow at the dock and he caught it. All seemed well, got the boat on the trailer pretty easy and parked it to secure it. Just before leaving, I happened to look at the front portion of my keel and it looked jagged. Gulped and took a closer look and sure enough about 12-14 inches of gell coat was completely scraped off right down to the fiberglass. I never felt a thing and the damage was right in the front. I'm just wondering if anyone else has hit or scrapped rocks or something else near the docks this year. I know the water is lower than usual but I've launched there twice before this Spring with no problem. Just trying to narrow down where the damage occurred so I don't do it again. It's kind of expensive and really kills your long awaited fishing trip(s) for a few weeks. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure I want to launch there again until I have a better idea of what I hit.

Launched out of Mexico Point on July 4th and fished for about 5 hours and came in. The wind was blowing pretty good making it a little harder than usual to get the boat up to the docks. Someone saw me struggling and offered to help catch and guide the boat to the dock so I ended up pointing the bow at the dock and he caught it. All seemed well, got the boat on the trailer pretty easy and parked it to secure it. Just before leaving, I happened to look at the front portion of my keel and it looked jagged. Gulped and took a closer look and sure enough about 12-14 inches of gell coat was completely scraped off right down to the fiberglass. I never felt a thing and the damage was right in the front. I'm just wondering if anyone else has hit or scrapped rocks or something else near the docks this year. I know the water is lower than usual but I've launched there twice before this Spring with no problem. Just trying to narrow down where the damage occurred so I don't do it again. It's kind of expensive and really kills your long awaited fishing trip(s) for a few weeks. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure I want to launch there again until I have a better idea of what I hit.

There are serious rocks to the left of the break wall channel. ( when coming in , or to starboard going out ) They are usually marked with buoys. I haven’t launched at Mexico yet this year so I don’t know if the buoys are in or not. I DO know you don’t want to get into those rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

26 minutes ago, MOORE said:

Did you happen to use the ramp to the far left looking from the water?  Other than that the area inside the break wall is pretty clear.  Shallow to the right side of the river coming in.

Edited by spoonfed-1

I followed right between my previous gps tracks just to make sure I was in the clear. The only thing I did different was come to the left side of the docks. I usually launch and take the boat out on the right side, I did get a little screwy in around the dock area because of the wind. Maybe I was off more than I thought.

If you don’t back the trailer in far enough when launching the bow can drop when coming off the rollers and the keel will hit the cross member, eventually the damaged part will peel off when coming up on the roller. It happened to me. A wood epoxy kit from Abatron fixed it for me.