Friday April 10 -- Point Breeze

April 10, 2009

After 7 days of constant high winds, snow and 4 canceled charters we finally were able to get out on the lake. The plan was to run to 30 fow and set lines on a south east troll that would put us right into the fish zone in 8 feet of water in the east bay. We were heading north at a speed of 20 kts when a swishing sound caught our attention. We were breaking ICE there was about 1/8†of skim ice on top of the flat, calm lake. Needless to say we turned around and headed back toward shore, setting lines as soon as we hit clear water.

In April the key to success is finding the warmest water and sticking with it, usually that would be water in the 40’s today the warm water was 35.5 to 36.5 degrees. I did not have high hopes for the day.

We began an east ward troll and hit our first fish on the set up. Fishing between ice and shore we only had a small area to fish—about 1/2 mile by 200 yards. We began tight circles and landed 10 fish before we finally got all 10 lines in. The crew landed cohos, browns and one small atlantic all 2-3 pounders, just right for the fryer!

The wind picked up around 9:30 and we were able to move down the shoreline in search of some larger fish, which we found landing several of them and missing a couple of others. We trolled back to port ending the day landing 22 out of 29 fish. Not so bad considering we skimmed the ice for the coolers off the top of the water 8 hours earlier.

HOT LURES

Gold/black Rapala #11 (very hot)

Hot Steel Rapala #11

Kaboom Goby

#7 GFR jointed Rapala

Speed 2.1 kts, water temp 35.5-36.5

Special thanks to Redneck Ray who navigated the ice & shore very well. WARNING!!! 1/8" of skim ice will cut 10# florocarbon like a razor blade!! Don't ask how I and 7 board lines know this ..... but after being cut off they will float on top of the sheet of ice that cut 'em.

This was the first time I experienced skim ice and was one of the most interesting phenomenons that I have witnessed in a long time.

CC