Huge surprise this morning fishing walleyes.

Kevin J Legg

I got an early start this morning on the SLR. Was on the water by 2:45. I was trolling solo with two longlines on 7’ ugly stick spinning rods in rod holders with Bandit deep divers and a heavy bottom bouncer on a third rod in my hand. It was now 4:00 AM!
While trolling in 24 fow I saw a longline come tight in the rod holder. while reeling in the bottom bouncer I headed out to deep water with the fish on the rod in rod holder. I then stopped the motor and began drifting down river. After grabbing the rod I knew it was a big fish. My first thought was a trophy walleye but it felt very heavy so next thought was a huge catfish.
It went deep and I really just felt weight but then it turned and made a powerful run toward shallower water taking lots of drag. It made a move up river and I followed it around the back of the boat and then it really made a couple big fast runs and I was nervous it might cut me off on the shoal. There was no controlling it at this time and I basically just hung on as it took drag. Next it came out of the water and I knew it was a big muskie! It jumped a second time and fortunately then moved back to deeper water.
It now seemed to be tiring and I slowly began gaining line. I was still drifting down river and now in deep water with no obstructions to deal with. It move toward the surface and I finally spotted it with my headlight. I easily lead it in and tried to slide her into my big salmon net but she wouldn’t fit. I had her head and about 2/3 of her body in the net but could get her tail in and hook was hung in the net. I tried lifting her tail into the net but still could fold it in. I decided I would have to to get my fingers under the gill plate and succeeded but it flopped and put a hook in my hand. Fortunately it didn’t go deep and came out when I dropped the fish and net. Now the fish and net were in the water but still attached to my line. Fortunately I was able to regain a hold on the net handle and by now was concerned with releasing the fish. I decided to try to get the hooks out without putting her in the boat. Fortunately I was successful but her gill plates were still tangled in the net. Finally I was able to free them and she swam off well.
 I have caught some big salmon and carp but this fish dwarfed them. As I have zero experience with big muskies My estimate would simply be a guess but I have a 38” ruler on the side of my boat and it was much bigger than that. If I were to make a guess I would say 50” or more. I know her head had to be 8” wide and she was thick all the way to the tail.
Wish I could show a photo but it wasn’t to be as I wanted her back in the water safely. I’ve been fishing the river for 45 years and this was definitely the fish of my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 16

I got an early start this morning on the SLR. Was on the water by 2:45. I was trolling solo with two longlines on 7’ ugly stick spinning rods in rod holders with Bandit deep divers and a heavy bottom bouncer on a third rod in my hand. It was now 4:00 AM!
While trolling in 24 fow I saw a longline come tight in the rod holder. while reeling in the bottom bouncer I headed out to deep water with the fish on the rod in rod holder. I then stopped the motor and began drifting down river. After grabbing the rod I knew it was a big fish. My first thought was a trophy walleye but it felt very heavy so next thought was a huge catfish.
It went deep and I really just felt weight but then it turned and made a powerful run toward shallower water taking lots of drag. It made a move up river and I followed it around the back of the boat and then it really made a couple big fast runs and I was nervous it might cut me off on the shoal. There was no controlling it at this time and I basically just hung on as it took drag. Next it came out of the water and I knew it was a big muskie! It jumped a second time and fortunately then moved back to deeper water.
It now seemed to be tiring and I slowly began gaining line. I was still drifting down river and now in deep water with no obstructions to deal with. It move toward the surface and I finally spotted it with my headlight. I easily lead it in and tried to slide her into my big salmon net but she wouldn’t fit. I had her head and about 2/3 of her body in the net but could get her tail in and hook was hung in the net. I tried lifting her tail into the net but still could fold it in. I decided I would have to to get my fingers under the gill plate and succeeded but it flopped and put a hook in my hand. Fortunately it didn’t go deep and came out when I dropped the fish and net. Now the fish and net were in the water but still attached to my line. Fortunately I was able to regain a hold on the net handle and by now was concerned with releasing the fish. I decided to try to get the hooks out without putting her in the boat. Fortunately I was successful but her gill plates were still tangled in the net. Finally I was able to free them and she swam off well.
 I have caught some big salmon and carp but this fish dwarfed them. As I have zero experience with big muskies My estimate would simply be a guess but I have a 38” ruler on the side of my boat and it was much bigger than that. If I were to make a guess I would say 50” or more. I know her head had to be 8” wide and she was thick all the way to the tail.
Wish I could show a photo but it wasn’t to be as I wanted her back in the water safely. I’ve been fishing the river for 45 years and this was definitely the fish of my lifetime.

Bought some bolt cutters to have in the boat as I had a scare with brief hook in my finger trying to get muskie in the boat. I had that happen once with a 36” pike and it wasn’t fun.would be a disaster with a Muskie.

IMG_2814.JPG.5d289eb9ceb1d9ba589155dfb53616d4.JPG

• Like 2

That had too be a real adrenaline rush at 4 am for sure. Not something I want to tangle with alone and in the dark. Congrats on getting  a true Larry trophy boat side. How many eyes did you boat?[emoji28]

Actually I got skunked on eyes but did hit a couple bass. Perhaps muskiies are feeding on eyes.

Kevin's story has some interesting parallels / themes with the Hemingway classic "The Old Man and the Sea". 

A man, alone in his boat, fighting an epic battle against a giant (Marlin) Musky... hands bloodied he lands the fish... on his terms.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Old-Man-and-the-Sea-novel-by-Hemingway

Awesome!

• Like 4

Kevin,
Very exciting!!! Congrats on a great catch and prioritizing it’s successful release. Muskie are such a precious asset to our fishery and vulnerable in the summer months as surface temps rise. I keep nipps and bolt cutters in the boat for just such an occasion. I am pleased to hear the muskie released u safely, as well. Kno less fortunate anglers who have lost fingers tangling with big fish in nets. Thank you for being a fine steward of our river and sharing this wonderful experience. Tight lines.

Esox

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin , that is awesome.  I"ve caught quite a few Muskies by bottom bouncing walleye colored 8" Swimm Whizz's in that area.  At night always add's to the expieriance !  I'm glad you had a big net !!  Krimpix Hook Cutters are pretty handy to have too.   Great fish 

• Like 1

Kevin , that is awesome.  I"ve caught quite a few Muskies by bottom bouncing walleye colored 8" Swimm Whizz's in that area.  At night always add's to the expieriance !  I'm glad you had a big net !!  Krimpix Hook Cutters are pretty handy to have too.   Great fish