Huge surprise this morning fishing walleyes.

Kevin J Legg

Kevin , that is awesome.  I"ve caught quite a few Muskies by bottom bouncing walleye colored 8" Swimm Whizz's in that area.  At night always add's to the expieriance !  I'm glad you had a big net !!  Krimpix Hook Cutters are pretty handy to have too.   Great fish 

I now carry a set of bolt cutters. Do you ever get walleyes on the Swimm Whizz

Great story! Gotta love moments like that that’s exactly why I fish. Nothing like hooking into a giant musky with bass or walleye gear. A couple years back I hooked into what I believe was a big musky on the SLR while trolling for walleye. It was so big I couldn’t even get the rod out of the rod holder. Ended up fighting it for around a minute before it cut my line with its teeth. Heartbreaker for sure but I know any time I’m out it could happen again. Keep the stories coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 8:04 AM, Kevin J Legg said:

I now carry a set of bolt cutters. Do you ever get walleyes on the Swimm Whizz

I did,  right near the Feather Bed Schoul.,  I hooked into a really nice 30" 10lb walleye on a walleye colored swimm whizz.  When it came up the eyes were glowing like a deer in the headlights.  LOL

When I was a teenager, I bought a rod/reel combo at Sears, line included for probably $30 back then.  Our family friend. living legend on The River, Jimmy Evans told me to go drift in The Brockville Narrows and countdown a big Abu Reflex spinner to catch some nice pike.  Got in the family 14' rowboat with our old 5 horse Johnson (yep, the green Sea-Horse!) and putted out there at around 6:00 AM by myself.  She hit me right away, must have been down there, hungry.  I held on for dear life, current sweeping me right past Brockville, past The Three Sisters with something on the other end of that line.  After an eternity, I finally saw her.  To me, she looked almost as big as my little boat.  She saw me too and at that moment decided it was time to dive.  She flipped her tail and took off for the bottom so fast, my little Sears rod snapped right in half just above the reel seat.  I watched helplessly as the rod section slid down the line into the water.  Wasn't long after that the line went ping and it was all over.

Kevin, it's not important whether you landed that girl.  You would have let her go anyway.  What we have are memories so vivid, we will relive them forever.  I will always remember that green back, the swirl on the surface when she came up to give me the finger before she let me know who's river this really was.  Great story, I believe every word.  Cherish the memory friend.

Tight Lines,

Grady

• Like 3

When I was a teenager, I bought a rod/reel combo at Sears, line included for probably $30 back then.  Our family friend. living legend on The River, Jimmy Evans told me to go drift in The Brockville Narrows and countdown a big Abu Reflex spinner to catch some nice pike.  Got in the family 14' rowboat with our old 5 horse Johnson (yep, the green Sea-Horse!) and putted out there at around 6:00 AM by myself.  She hit me right away, must have been down there, hungry.  I held on for dear life, current sweeping me right past Brockville, past The Three Sisters with something on the other end of that line.  After an eternity, I finally saw her.  To me, she looked almost as big as my little boat.  She saw me too and at that moment decided it was time to dive.  She flipped her tail and took off for the bottom so fast, my little Sears rod snapped right in half just above the reel seat.  I watched helplessly as the rod section slid down the line into the water.  Wasn't long after that the line went ping and it was all over.
Kevin, it's not important whether you landed that girl.  You would have let her go anyway.  What we have are memories so vivid, we will relive them forever.  I will always remember that green back, the swirl on the surface when she came up to give me the finger before she let me know who's river this really was.  Great story, I believe every word.  Cherish the memory friend.
Tight Lines,
Grady

Another great tail of the river unicorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United