DC DC Converter for Terrova Autopilo

1900Tyee

Hello there everyone,

I currently have a 36 volt Terrova with 3-bank batteries in the bow.  Not wanting additional batteries in the boat, I am separately pulling 12 volts off two different batteries in the bank to supply power to two different Cannon downriggers.

A problem develops when also running the Terrova (ie. auto pilot while trolling) regarding differential battery drain.  After a long day of fishing, the Terrova is pushing the voltage too low on the batteries that are also powering the Cannon downriggers.  It’s pretty much the series connections that prevent the batteries from self equalizing.

My thought is to use a DC DC Converter to take one 36 volt input from the bank and split it into two 12 volt outputs; one to each rigger.  That was all the batteries will be brought down together.

I have not done it on a boat but have done it at work for sensitive electronics that need a solid 12v from a solar charging system. There’s no reason it won’t work. Here’s one that looks water resistant, and can handle the amperage of riggers.

Roykaw Golf Cart Voltage Reducer Regulator Converter 36/48V to 12V for E-Z-GO Club Car (30A/360W) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086C32FK1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_T5SD2SGQMVTEF0SBK0GX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Cody191…I’ll look at that brand as it is waterproof.  I would need to find a dual 12 volt output though because I think I would pull too many watts in an instance where I was running both riggers at the same time.

You may be right, I’m not sure what you have for riggers but I think cannons have 25 amp breakers on them but I’m sure they operate at a much lower amperage. Maybe somebody on here knows or you could test one with a meter pulling up your heaviest weight. Dual output would probably solve your problem though if you can find one with that high amperage rating on both outputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you again…

I have Digitroll 10’s and in checking the manual they are rated at 30 amps each max.  I suppose there would be a good chance that we could be clearing two rods at the same time (I use the Auto UP feature) most likely when I have my boys on the boat with me.  With 15 pound weights I’d be getting pretty close.  I see that company makes a 60 amp as well.

I should be able to get something to work.  Maybe I can shoe-horn the converter into the tip of the bow.

I knew I should have bought a bigger boat!  haha