Backer minimum?

I have a 200 weighted steel setup on a cold water 453 and using 65lb braid it only left me with about 450ft of backer... is that enough for King fishing?   Another 50ft or so will be out to get the board away from the boat.  

I plan to run the rig on offshore in-line planer boards, either the standard size or bigger size (haven't experimented yet).  Just concerned about the weight of that board and a big King it might spool me or leave me with limited leverage with an empty spool --  although the weight of the board might slow him down the more I think about it!  

A couple years ago  I had 200 yds of 50 lb braid on a 300 copper that I usually used on the Finger Lakes. I ran it down the chute on my buddy's boat. What I think was a very big king grabbed the lure and headed for Canada with it and never stopped. As I looked at my reel I could see the metal spool spindle through what was left of the backing so I had no choice but to slightly tighten the drag and when I did the 300 copper broke at the connection to the braid and goodbye. Lesson: make sure you have enough backing to deal with the unforseen:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Good advice!  I've caught several 20lb Kings but not any monsters.  I feel the runs that the 20lbers went on were decent but not screamers where I couldn't stop them.  I would imagine that the heavy in line planer boards should slow them down a bit.  maybe I'll switch to 50lb backing to give me a little extra.