Spin Doctor on fixed slider musing

Despite the advice here I was compelled to keep my fixed slider rig off a rod and ran the set up pictured with a Spin Doctor up high and a spoon only on my rigger release. Good news is I doubled/maybe tripled my hook rate and had good luck retrieving gear (no tangles). Bad news was no change to my rate of boating fish. Next few trips I think I am going to abandon the Spin Doctor on the fixed slider and go with a spoon on a rod with a modified fixed slider approach to compliment the rod. Secondary fix will be to abandon the Spin Doctor set and run a spoon or fly only program with no rod on the fixed slider. Added insight welcome...IMG_5751.thumb.JPG.50791c4427f5692f0765ffdf7f676619.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

From a conservation standpoint, how would you tell if you are dragging a small fish with a spin doctor thumping your rigger rod when placed as a cheater line?

I'm new to fixed sliders , will this setup pictured work it's way down to the swivel on the mainline as you fight the fish?  Or does it reach the boat first and you have to unclip the pinned clip to let it down the line?  

With a fish the line leaves the clip and the swivel settles on the down spoon that is on the rod. I use an oversized swivel so it actually gets over the spoon. Seems to work ok. With no fish I have to pop the clip and swivel to clear the line. Just need to be careful how fast everything comes up to avoid twists.

A  center pin clip is meant to be used for adding a weight to a line and should not release the line until you squeeze it.. I use a rubber band to fix sliders. Doesn’t damage line when releasing.. Less drag than a clip.

• Like 2

A  center pin clip is meant to be used for adding a weight to a line and should not release the line until you squeeze it.. I use a rubber band to fix sliders. Doesn’t damage line when releasing.. Less drag than a clip.

I actually clip off the nub that would lock the line in place. I have read up on fixed slider options and the rubber band style came up. I will give it a go. I usually fish solo and need to find my way to as few steps as possible to set a rig.

My recommendation to anyone running small boat or just getting started is to use the fixed doulock snaps that "troubles" sells in the classifieds on here. I've used most of the methods here and many more. Hooking his sliders are as easy as it gets really. And he will tie them any length you want. All his stuff I've been extremely happy with. Everything is packaged conveniently. I use all his leaders for dipsies and everything. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Wth said:

My recommendation to anyone running small boat or just getting started is to use the fixed doulock snaps that "troubles" sells in the classifieds on here. I've used most of the methods here and many more. Hooking his sliders are as easy as it gets really. And he will tie them any length you want. All his stuff I've been extremely happy with. Everything is packaged conveniently. I use all his leaders for dipsies and everything. 

I use "troubles" fixed duolock snaps and have had zero issues with them.  I have tried three other methods and prefer the fixed cheaters from "troubles" over the others.  Easy on, easy off.

• Like 1

#16 rubber bands work great for fixed sliders. Easy to set and allow the fish to slide down easy.
Don't rule out free sliders. They work equally well some days.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Salmon are nuts. You won't want to mess with that red clip while one is going crazy at the transom. Rubber band snaps and removes itself. Usually. We had one jam in rod tip last summer and cost us a fish. Nothing is perfect, but it only ever happened once.

If running spoons for the fixed cheater the red clips are the way to go IMO.

Typically we will run the bottom spoon set 45-65' back and the top spoon 10' or more in vertical separation depending on depth being fished and target species.

When the fish hits the cheater it will slide down to the leader swivel & stop, reel to the boat and net the fish removal of clip not needed.

If the fish hits the bottom spoon removal of the clip is quick and easy. Fish on the bottom spoon will still be far enough back from your transom. If you had 50' set back & 10' vertical separation that fish will be 60' behind the boat when removing the clip.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 10:46 AM, invasahata said:

Despite the advice here I was compelled to keep my fixed slider rig off a rod and ran the set up pictured with a Spin Doctor up high and a spoon only on my rigger release. Good news is I doubled/maybe tripled my hook rate and had good luck retrieving gear (no tangles). Bad news was no change to my rate of boating fish. Next few trips I think I am going to abandon the Spin Doctor on the fixed slider and go with a spoon on a rod with a modified fixed slider approach to compliment the rod. Secondary fix will be to abandon the Spin Doctor set and run a spoon or fly only program with no rod on the fixed slider. Added insight welcome...IMG_5751.thumb.JPG.50791c4427f5692f0765ffdf7f676619.JPG

Look at Roemer Liberator clips. Designed just for this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I have never fished a slider before and was going to try this year.  Can you explain the set in the picture.  It seems redundant in that you have 2 slider mechanisms.  What is the purpose of the release? 

I've never had any problems with troubles fixed slider rigs. I just wind it up to the tip and if I can't reach over and remove it I just keep cranking and it will slide down. Never any problems. There the cheapest option out there and hold up nicely.

Sorry but I have never fished a slider before and was going to try this year.  Can you explain the set in the picture.  It seems redundant in that you have 2 slider mechanisms.  What is the purpose of the release? 
The release "fixes" the slider at a certain depth vs a "free" slider. Without the clip or a rubber band the slider settles at half the ball depth, which also catches fish.
My buddy's personal best came on a free slider out of temp.