VHF radio opinions

hookedupf7

I looked at new radios a few years ago. I realized how difficult it would be to sort through the many features and the different brands. I ended up keeping my "old" radio, which is a 2003 year model. I upgraded the antenna instead.

I would check the antenna connection on the back of the radio. You might fix the problem by removing 6" off the end of the coax cable and putting a new connector on it. Start with the least expensive option first.

20 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

I looked at new radios a few years ago. I realized how difficult it would be to sort through the many features and the different brands. I ended up keeping my "old" radio, which is a 2003 year model. I upgraded the antenna instead.

a good antenna is 90% of the system. if your going to scrimp do it on the radio and not the antenna. i just replaced my old 9 1/2' antenna with the shakespeare 5225 which is a good one. but i would check the connector and maybe replace it before buying a new radio. but if you replace the radio i would get one with built in gps and register it through boatus.com. i have the icom m330 g which has gps but the radio is new so i can't really brag on it.

• Like 1