Where to launch in Erie

dhhurlburt

There are multiple locations from Buffalo to the Pa line with decent ramps.

Small Boat Harbor - Buffalo

Sturgeon Point - Derby NY / Angola NY

Cattaraugus Creek - 2 launches Hanover Town Launch, Sunset Bay NYS Launch

Dunkirk Boat Ramp - Dunkirk 

Barcelona Harbor - Near Westfield

I'm partial to the Catt for perch and walleyes....... but there can be good fishing out of any of those ports, depending on the season and the fish.

• Thanks 1

All those ramps are good but he one I would recommend for now with kids and the shortest distance from Rochester would be the small boat harbor. Just put some worm harnesses down as soon as you clear the boat dock area and enter the harbor and head north until you get past the coast guard station and the north gap area.  You should be able to pick up a few and probably hit some sheephead and perch.

9 hours ago, Traveling Circus said:

There are multiple locations from Buffalo to the Pa line with decent ramps.

Small Boat Harbor - Buffalo

Sturgeon Point - Derby NY / Angola NY

Cattaraugus Creek - 2 launches Hanover Town Launch, Sunset Bay NYS Launch

Dunkirk Boat Ramp - Dunkirk 

Barcelona Harbor - Near Westfield

I'm partial to the Catt for perch and walleyes....... but there can be good fishing out of any of those ports, depending on the season and the fish.

what time of year is best on the east end? looking to make a long weekend trip next year and curious if east end is good all year or better towards fall?

Number of issues to be aware of at NY Ramps presently-

Sturgeon Point- launch ramp open and marina closed

Catt Creek-major flood last weekend.  State Ramp at Sunset reopening today.  Believe Hanover Ramp partially open.  Many marina docks damaged or gone.

Dunkirk-launch open / channel good.

Barcelona-issues with harbor silting.  Channel access a bit “tricky” with an East temporary channel and material moving in the normal channel after some emergency dredging.

For someone making their first visit to Lake Erie right now probably Dunkirk or Buffalo Small Boat Harbor best bets.

• Thanks 1

Typically on the East end of Lake Erie, it is primarily a night bite in May into early June.  The daytime open water trolling starts in June and usually is best late June through early September.  Fishing can be good into late September and beyond, but the issue is the number of days you can get out is limited on the East end.  My advice for an East end trip would be to look at July/August.  If a fall trip is what you want go West into Ohio for a better chance at getting out.

• Thanks 1