downrigger flasher with no lure

was wondering if on lake ontario ,new york side, 2 people on board ,can i run a 6 pole spread with no downrigger being used for fishing lines or lures ,and run my 4 downriggers ,1 with my fish hawk,and put flashers or hot spot attractors with no lure on my downriggers and run no poles  to DR , has anybody tried this and had success or failure or what is the law for doing this ,is it illegal , LOL, im asking for a friend

Why would you not use your downriggers???

We only usually have 2 people on boat with no autopilot and run 6 rod spread.  Downrigger off each side then dipsy or 2 off each side depending if we wanna try to run copper off boards on each side.   We also run just a spoon off our downrigger rods and just attach a attractor 5-6 ft straight off the back of the ball, then make our downrigger release 3ft above the ball and let the line out at least 5-6 feet past the attractor sometimes 20 just depending what we wanna try.   I'm sure there are better ways to run stuff but it works well for us.   

i believe i heard it on reel2reel video ,but can not remember could have tangled tackle ,IDK,i have 4 DR on boat and really never use 2 of them i run 2 high divers on copper and 2 low divers 124's on copper and 2 DR,so thought i would try putting an attractor on those 2 downrigger, also i switched to braid on 2 of my cannon DR ,so i run my 3rd DR with steel cable for  my black box  ,so why not get another flasher out there

What do you use to go from release to your ball?

Not sure exactly what your asking. Our attractor is attached to the ball with a big swivel so it just stays on back of ball. We use regular Scotty release on line with only a spoon so it’s only spoon and fish hopefully. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

mlvn_prry  I  would  like to try  this.  I am  currently  running a  blacks  release  snapped  onto my downrigger on the top and snapped on the ball on the bottom. My question is what would be best to use to make a 3ft lead, lb test, so I can move my ball down from my release? Right now my ball is snapped directly to release. Thanks for your input.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, greenfish said:

was wondering if on lake ontario ,new york side, 2 people on board ,can i run a 6 pole spread with no downrigger being used for fishing lines or lures ,and run my 4 downriggers ,1 with my fish hawk,and put flashers or hot spot attractors with no lure on my downriggers and run no poles  to DR , has anybody tried this and had success or failure or what is the law for doing this ,is it illegal , LOL, im asking for a friend

That's a good question to ask your ECO or the DEC legal department.

Page 73 in the Reg book has:

Angling Angling means taking fish by hook and line. This includes bait and fly fishing, casting, trolling, and the use of landing nets to complete the catch. • Anglers must be in immediate attendance when their lines are in the water. ⊲ The use of set lines where the angler is not in immediate attendance is prohibited. • An angler may operate no more than 3 lines with or without a rod. ⊲ each line is limited to not more than 5 lures or baits or a combination of both. ⊲ in addition, each line shall not exceed 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks. • Snatching, lifting, hooking, and use of tip-ups are not angling.

Would the downrigger cable be considered a line under those circumstances? What's to keep you from attaching a lure to the cable or weight? 

A quick call will set you straight.