Frequency of changing out mono

I run Berkley Big Game 30lb test on my rigger rods. I have had the same line on these reels for 4 years now. I only use them 1 or 2x a season. Thoughts on changing it out? Curious to know how often others change out their mono. Thanks in advance.

I run Berkley Big Game 30lb test on my rigger rods. I have had the same line on these reels for 4 years now. I only use them 1 or 2x a season. Thoughts on changing it out? Curious to know how often others change out their mono. Thanks in advance.

I change my line every few years and in 35 years I’ve had zero issues. 4 years may be pushing it though. Who knows…

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

An important consideration is how you store your rods and line. If they are left in a hot boat or garage or out in the sun (UV rays) you may need to change the line very frequently but if you store your rods and line etc. in a cool dry place (e.g. my dry cellar with dehumidifier)  you can get by with much longer stretches. I have had Sea Flee on a few of my rods for several years and have just taken off a few feet from the end at the start of the season or if it looks questionable. Never a problem with it. I should also mention that things could be different with lighter pound test (Sea Flee is 30 lb.) because less room for error.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1