Short arm big Jon’s off the side?

Was gifted the 24” electric big Jon’s. Looking to mount off the side vs the back on a 1675 Lund adventure. Using Cisco track system would put them about 3 feet off the stern. Any issues? Can’t imagine they could reach the main motor. Thank you for the help.

Edited by BRsnow

Thank you, typically using big motor, so sounds like it shouldn’t be an issue I believe. Will be shifting to a 80lb trolling motor soon as well and then should be totally clear.

Edited by BRsnow

The answer depends on how far forward you mount it. If you mount too far forward with a short arm current and wind can take your line into the prop.  As a very general rule, the downrigger shouldn't be mounted an further forward of the transom than the arm length, but there are exceptions to every rule.  The bigger the boat, the more you can get a way with. Small aluminum boats tend to be blown by the wind and are the most troublesome. On a 40,000 pound boat you can get away with a bit more. 

Big Jon's are probably the easiest riggers to repair or adapt to any boat. You can get extensions and easily lengthen the booms out to 42"-48". Check the classifieds or put in a WTB "Wanted to Buy" ad for the extensions. 

17 minutes ago, stinger said:

Big Jon's are probably the easiest riggers to repair or adapt to any boat. You can get extensions and easily lengthen the booms out to 42"-48". Check the classifieds or put in a WTB "Wanted to Buy" ad for the extensions. 

Thank you, this is the older sportsman model so I don’t believe I can extend it. I believe it should work fine though. Appreciate the help

5 minutes ago, stinger said:

The rods are usually threaded so any boom should be able to be taken off or replaced if broken, bent, etc.  Easy fix if the short arms don't work out.

Thanks, I will give them a call. Appreciate it