Lost offshore board olcott

Did you buy it already rigged? I made that mistake once, bought a 300 foot copper combo all rigged up. The copper / braid knot failed, I should of known better to retie!! That tackle shop is out of business now.

• Like 1

its probably getting towed around by a big king right now, poppin up periodically like those yellow barrels in Jaws....
My thought was I was gonna go over and handline that thing and get my board back but I honestly think he pulled it under. It was pretty calm and i had good eyes on it for most the time then it was gone. Now it's just a story. In the bright side the tackle shop is sending me a spool to respool with so just out the board.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

After losing a couple rigs myself, I learned to leave longer tag ends on my improved albright knots (braid to weighted steel) and also adding a dab of super glue.  Some people will trim the tag ends down once you have a good fight or two but the super glue seems to prevent any slip at all.  This setup worked great on my last trip -- landed 5+ 20lb+ with no issues.  

bigted,

Saw your reply to my post about the lost board in Open Lake Discussion and found it a little disappointing. Just to clarify, we didn't even know that we had snagged somebody's gear until quite a bit later when I raised the downrigger to change lures. The Michigan Stinger spoon the other guy was trolling had snagged my downrigger cable at some point and we were completely unaware of it, which was kind of surprising since we had no indication of it. Anyway, as the rigger was coming up the spoon caught on the stop beads on the cable and jammed into the rigger boom when it hit the pulley. The rigger motor kept running and before I could shut it off the drive belt on my Scotty downrigger jumped off the drive wheel, causing the downrigger to free spool with no way to stop the cable until the weight hit the bottom in 140' of water. Fortunately we got the boat stopped before all 300' of cable was out, but it took a long time to get the belt back on and the downrigger working correctly. By then the other guys were long gone out of sight. We turned around and trolled back in the direction that they were headed in but never saw them again, hence the post on LOU. My question is, why didn't they stop and come back? We were dead in the water for at least 15 minutes fixing the downrigger, maybe more. I feel bad about what happened but I don't know what else I could have done.

• Like 1