Soft spot in floor

WOODY5734

I just recently.bought an 1988 nordic 22 ft...I have a foft spot in the middle of the floor by the engine seems seems too be a 4x4 section the floor is fiberglass...how would I go about repairing that section dont even know were too start..Thanks in advance for the help...

WOODY5734

Mark off the area with a square if possible.  Take a circular saw and adjust the cutting depth to a 1/4" or so. Cut the top deck off ,which will leave the bad wood exposed . Do not cut below your wood core , the underlying fiberglass should not be cut. Remove all wood that has been compromised.  New wood is put in with fiberglass resin or similar material.  You may be able to put the skin you removed back on to the repaired section or you may have to glass over the repair.  Rustoleum makes a deck paint and a non slip additive that can be bought at Loew's.  Paint on or cover repair area with Seadek ,Marine Mat or whatever you come up with if you don't want to paint it. Non slip works great . You can also Google or You Tube for more info.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

Might want to research inject a deck , for the money they want and all the holes you have to drill ,  the deck looks like swiss cheeses when your done . And it really has not removed the rotten wood ,all it does is solidify it ,not strengthen it. A few pros to it and a lot of cons according to the research I did before doing mine the right way.

On 8/5/2021 at 4:18 PM, WOODY5734 said:

I just recently.bought an 1988 nordic 22 ft...I have a foft spot in the middle of the floor by the engine seems seems too be a 4x4 section the floor is fiberglass...how would I go about repairing that section dont even know were too start..Thanks in advance for the help...

WOODY5734

Are you talking about a 88 Nordic Crestliner? If so, I had one and the floor was vinyl over plywood. It was also in panels not a complete piece. Just curious...

Depends on the access below - I would tackle it from below - as you can cut the old core out, and then recore from below without causing the need for major cosmetic re-work on top - especially if it is a patterned non-skid floor.   It's not that hard and you can use resin thickened with cab-o-sil or some other filler to get the core in place.  You can then reinforce it from below using overlapping pieces of glass until you get the thickness you need.  If done right the repair will be as strong or stronger than the original floor.