Question about Running Double Dipsies

Thinking about adding a second set of dipsies to my spread.  Currently run wire dipsies.  I see that many people run wire and braid. Is there a benefit to running wire with braid?  Why not just run all wire?  Is that because they started with braid before they went to wire rigs? Are you limited to rigs you can run on the one side - ie 10" paddles on both rigs? What about rod length?  Is it really necessary to have one rod longer than the other? 

Any tips or advice on making this happen with the least amount of pain would be greatly appreciated.   

I run 4 wire divers   braid works but during the warm months fleas can be a major problem

you can run whatever you want if you have enough seperation but personally i dont like to run 2 flashers on one side 

it is convinenent to have shorter rods on the inside but you can run all 4 the same leangth especially if they are the same make and model.  A larger dipsey on the inside will pull a bigger bend as well

• 2 weeks later...

x3 on the two different rod lengths. It simply makes setting the outside rod easier without tangling lines, and they run cleaner on turns. Drop them back slowly to avoid tangles. I let out 40' then let them slip under drag the rest of the way. IMHO, wire-wire tangles aren't generally too bad. Usually, it's just a hook that catches. However...wire-copper tangles are miserable. To combat that, we run our copper well off to the side from Otter boats, and almost never run a copper down the chute when running double dipseys. We like Mag divers on the inside rod at a 1 1/2 setting and the outside rod has either a Mag diver or a #4 Deeper Diver at a 2 1/2 setting. It may seem obvious, but the inside rod is positioned further toward the stern than the outside rod when they're set.

You can run your outside high diver back further.  IMO the key thing to watch when running double divers is to keep your spread running square.  If you spread is sliding sideways to the back of the boat due to wind or current, you need to drop back to one diver per side.  There are days when one is all you can run.

We like to run Chinook divers 5s on the inside weight in the first hole and 4s on the outside with the weight on the 3rd hole my starting spread is generally inside divers as deepest 2 riggers in the middle than outside divers up high more separation is better but as the day goes on we adjust to the depths getting bit biggest thing is let the line out slow

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app