One of our own

So my Fire Dept was dispatched this afternoon for people in the water yelling for help near Braddocks. When the fire boat and coast guard boat arrived on scene, there was a pontoon boat with a lady in the water hanging on at the stern. I noticed there was also a very common boat many of us know tied off to the pontoon and the captain was keeping her safe till help arrived. None other than Bill Ryan aka Whaler. The lady was brought aboard her boat with Bill’s help and the FD drove her boat back home. She and her husband who was waiting on shore were both shaken up but thankfully ok. But she would not have been ok with out Bill’s help. Bill was with her for 5-10 minutes before we arrived and that probably saved her life. I know Bill is going to give me **** for posting this but I give credit where credit is due. I have said it before. There is some great people in the group.

Nice save out there Bill.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Tried to fish this morning but there were storms. Went out after but south west 20 plus. Dropped into 100 and put out three rods. After a few minutes I pulled, 3 to 5’s and solo just didn’t make sense so I went home. Couple hours later I decided to go for a ride near shore, too nice a day to stay home on my day off.
Passed Rosies marsh in 25 feet of water and was about to turn back when I saw a pontoon boat out in about 35 feet of water which made no sense to me, off Braddocks 35 feet of water is a long way from shore. Way too rough for that boat to be out there.
As I pulled closer I saw a hand waving at the stern holding onto the motor. Poor lady getting beat up by the waves and her boat, no life jacket and nobody else on board. She kept going under and coming up spitting water. It was really spooky. Her husband had tried to swim to shore and he had on a PFD from what she said. Thankfully I was able to tie up to her boat and decided to try to pull her up at the stern. She was a large woman and older and I was scared for her.
Thankfully adrenaline kicked in and I was able to pull her up between the motor and the stern. “You’re f,,king strong” she said which made us both laugh. I was trying to figure out how to get her on the boat when the Coast Guard and the Lake Shore rescue boats showed up. I was so relieved. Sure enough my buddy Rick was on the Lake Shore boat.
Would have been tough without their help, they risk their lives every day to help others. In a day and age where first responders are vilified, people should take the time to thank these people.
My thin Red Line and Thin Blue line stickers will continue to adorn my rear window on my truck. These people are the heroes. I was just blessed to be in the right place at the right time.

• Like 27

:yes: Good going Bill. "All the right stuff" Kudos also to the emergency folks who help folks out all the time and frequently without attention to the fact or even thanks sometimes. We do in fact have a great bunch of people on LOU who are there to help others whether on the water or on here.

55 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Tried to fish this morning but there were storms. Went out after but south west 20 plus. Dropped into 100 and put out three rods. After a few minutes I pulled, 3 to 5’s and solo just didn’t make sense so I went home. Couple hours later I decided to go for a ride near shore, too nice a day to stay home on my day off.
Passed Rosies marsh in 25 feet of water and was about to turn back when I saw a pontoon boat out in about 35 feet of water which made no sense to me, off Braddocks 35 feet of water is a long way from shore. Way too rough for that boat to be out there.
As I pulled closer I saw a hand waving at the stern holding onto the motor. Poor lady getting beat up by the waves and her boat, no life jacket and nobody else on board. She kept going under and coming up spitting water. It was really spooky. Her husband had tried to swim to shore and he had on a PFD from what she said. Thankfully I was able to tie up to her boat and decided to try to pull her up at the stern. She was a large woman and older and I was scared for her.
Thankfully adrenaline kicked in and I was able to pull her up between the motor and the stern. “You’re f,,king strong” she said which made us both laugh. I was trying to figure out how to get her on the boat when the Coast Guard and the Lake Shore rescue boats showed up. I was so relieved. Sure enough my buddy Rick was on the Lake Shore boat.
Would have been tough without their help, they risk their lives every day to help others. In a day and age where first responders are vilified, people should take the time to thank these people.
My thin Red Line and Thin Blue line stickers will continue to adorn my rear window on my truck. These people are the heroes. I was just blessed to be in the right place at the right time.

But for the grace of God, a keen eye, good heart and strong arms that woman will sleep well tonight. 

• Like 1

Probably caught a big brown on the way in.. good job being helpful, karma pays attention to stuff like that!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Great job Bill.  I nick named you the "One man wrecking crew" when we were watching you lifting those docks in the water at Tommy's a few years back.  God had you in the right place at the right time.  

Edited by Jimmyi
  • Like 2

Wow. Read both versions. Have to say, THANK YOU TO YOU BOTH for helping! As fishermen, and boaters, we all need to know, the water is an unforgiving place. While I hope most of us know how to handle emergencies, I also hope, you all stop to think, what would I do if.......

Being prepared is 90% of it, and not losing your head, is the other 10%, Stay calm, evaluate the situation, and render aid where possible. 

Once again, thank you to you both for being there. Without you, it might have turned out a lot different. Think about that! God bless and GREAT JOB!