Cayuga Event on 8/14 Safety Notice

In addition to the fishing derby out of Myers there is a Women’s Swim scheduled in the vicinity of the Ithaca Yacht Club involving 200 plus swimmers and a Cayuga Lake “SUP” cup event including 2-300 stand up paddle boarders that will be racing a course that crosses the lake between Myers and Taughannock and back again.

Please be careful out fishing…if you are anywhere south of Taughannock Falls State Park it will be a very crowded morning with some 4-600 people in or on the water.

There will be the Sheriff, State police, State Park Police Jet Skis, and Coast Guard Auxiliary working the events.

Be safe out please.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Appreciate that info. Was fishing on the East side a ways above Meyers over deep water. I looked up to see a long boat with five or six rowers charging straight at me as they were sprinting from somewhere above the area of the Boy Scout camp towards the finish at Meyers. Did some “power trolling” at 5mph to get out of their way. We had a fish on. I never would have understood why they were insanely paddling straight at me without your post.

Both events went off with no injuries only had to stop a couple boats that were approaching the line at high speed. I saw several fishing in the course and left you all to do your best to avoid each other as you all have the same rights to be there. I appreciate the comments and everyone working to share the space !