Most versatile leadcore set up?

I like the 2 color. Great on a downrigger and if needed a snap weight will get you deeper. It's useable for early browns all the way to fall stagers. Obviously you will want many different setups but that one always has a use.

Many folks are reluctant to attach to the leadcore itself but for most applications it shouldn't be a problem. The actual strength of the leadcore is in the outer layer around the lead itself. The lead gives it the weight but not much in terms of strength. If carefully used the sheathing should not be damaged if placed in most releases. That is my reasoning for the ten color as the most versatile. I also have dedicated setup lengths in 1, 3, 5 , 7, and the ten color. I  have never had the sheathing break or even fray from that type of use. if the lead breaks inside it would be irrelevant unless maybe the strand stuck through the sheathing somehow.

Edited by Sk8man

That works but each connection point is a potential weak spot in the line (e.g. more connections) and the knots accrue fleas as well as the braid.

3 to 4 colors of core off a rigger produces most of my best fish and it doesn't get more versatile than chasing marks on the screen with core.   I always try to keep the rigger above the fish and drop right on em with a falling "dying" spoon....deadly technique.  As far as connections go I've never had a failure fishing 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week for going on 2 seasons....not something I even think about....