Owasco Owasco weekend mixed bag

Well this weekend was a grind but the weather felt so nice. Saturday I had a friend join me and we started of with some great bites, on of which was a nice brown that cleared the water twice! But the early fish we couldn't keep glued,  they just were short hitting. After the rain I made some adjustments and we had some great flurries, good bows, lakers and the walleyes and bass have shown up out deep under the bait. But just like with any front, I slowed it down a touch and extended the leads which meant more chaos on the tangles but at least we increased the bite ratio. No pattern at all but we would hit fish and stay on them until they stopped. Stayed at it from dawn till dusk. Sunday I only fished from 8-10:30......all copper and the surprise of the weekend was a large pike that hit me over 130ft of water, thought I had a big silver but was suprised when I saw the big gator. Speed slowed to 2.0, temp tight between 50-60 for riggers, spoon colors were blue and green. Cores were quiet this weekend copper was back on top. Tight lines all.

20210815_160918.jpg

20210815_094740.jpg

60757.jpeg

60755.jpeg

60748.jpeg

60746.jpeg

20210815_094537.jpg

20210815_094333.jpg

20210815_134259.jpg

20210815_160723.jpg

• Like 4

Smat64: I covered a lot of water, spread stayed the same but I adjusted every half hour where the lures were in the column. Based on where the temp was, I try to lift up and out of it just a bit to target silver fish, but this time of year when the alewife move off shore and school back up it seems every fish that feeds on hem can be under them, that was only the second pike I’ve caught under bait in years.

Camo joe: I saw ya today but stayed south due to having to get back and getting a late start, the lower points were producing for me today, I wish I got out at daybreak but was wiped from the all day Saturday event. Fishing Saturday wasn’t fast either but you had to cover water and adjust speeds to get hits. Without a down probe on the pontoon, it’s hard to know down speeds, that’s what I zig zag and turn sharpe.....if I get hit, I pay attention if it’s the fast side or slow side and adjust......this weekend was slow side, so I reduced and rods fired. It’s a puzzle every weekend but fun when you can figure it out a bit. I ended up quoting at 10:30 cause the points were getting blown up with rec boats and my bite died.

Great report. I got on the lake and trolled from 4:30 till 6 pm. Lake was nice. No hits. Tried a couple different spoons on my dipsys. 2.3 to 2.6 with a few turns mixed in. Had marks but not enough time. Had to go back in for dinner.

Maybe later today.

Great report. I got on the lake and trolled from 4:30 till 6 pm. Lake was nice. No hits. Tried a couple different spoons on my dipsys. 2.3 to 2.6 with a few turns mixed in. Had marks but not enough time. Had to go back in for dinner.
Maybe later today.

At one point they were stacked on the graph like firewood. Changed speeds and direction. Raised other baits up. They just had lockjaw for some reason or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fished from 4:30 till 7. Caught one rainbow today at 7 pm. Lots of weeds in the water so our lures were fouled up for too much of the time or we would have done better. They were cutting them with the "weed barge" today and east side was full of floating weeds. Went to west side finally... got one and headed in for dinner.

Stillwater and longtime, you guys are doing great, keep at it, your dialing them in!

ryanrobb, I didn’t measure that pike but I can tell you with the girth that that had, I know it was over 10. Bigger than any I took through the ice on the south end that’s for sure. Truly cool that they are under bait too, you never know what your gonna catch.......I’m still waiting for one of those surviving breeder landlocks that were stocked years ago to surprise me one day, I’m sure there s still a few swimming around and I bet they’re huge.

• Like 3

Sully was before my time there but a neighbor of mine that has since passed used to run a bait shop on the lake Back in the day and used to fish it heavy. He told me of a batch of LL that got put in way back. He said they were good size. In fact he told me the year they put them in fisherman were getting them through the ice on the south end......I kept asking was he sure they were LL’s, he was absolutely sure of it, this man was a fisherman, and knew his stuff. Figured they long died out but wouldn’t it be cool to catch some old big hooked jawed male that just beat the survival odds. Don’t know if it’s fact but just an old story that got me wishing.

• Like 1