Looking for Advice - Casting Lures for Musky

Hi all,

I grew up fishing for Salmon and Trout in Ontario and streams, Walleye in Erie, Calicos and Walleye in Chautauqua since I was 2 and bought my first boat a couple of years ago,  Something I have really wanted to get into is Musky fishing, given the world class fishery we have here.  I have been able to find plenty of information on trolling, especially for Chautauqua and have outfitted myself with needed trolling gear and lures.  I am very interested in casting too though.  Hoping that people might be able to share some pointers on that front.  I would like to catch some casting in Chautauqua.  I am not looking to be spoon fed, but not interested in completely wasting time and especially money.  Happy for people to PM me if not interested in sharing with the general public.  If left to my own devices I would likely target Bell Tower, Dewittville, Maple Springs, Mayville Flats looking for weed edges and suspended vegetation.  I have looked at what is out there for casting for Musky and there are quite a lot of options.  Any suggestions on what to look at for casting in Chautauqua?

Gear:

2 - 8' Mojo Musky Heavy power trolling rods with Daiwa 57LC, loaded with 10 colors of 45# Mason Leadcore

8' St Croix Premier Heavy / Moderate, with 400 Tranx and 60# Braid

8'6" St Croix Premier Med - Heavy / Fast , with 413 concept A3 and 60# Braid

Tools:

Beckman net w large hoop and deep net

Hook Cutter

Long needle nose

Hook sharpener

Bump Board

Thanks in Advance.

Look into muddy creek fishing guides. They guide on Chautauqua all season and are affiliated with fat az musky products. The use the fat az raptors a lot, and do very well. I have only musky fished twice in my life, and did catch one on a raptor. They are a jerk bait. Would recommend perch or the mudpuppy pattern. They catch fish.
Good luck out there

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

60lb braid is a bit light for some lures. Buck tails and top water are effective, cover water and don’t take a finesse approach and work fine with lighter braid. They also don’t tire you out as quick. They are predators, so cover, ambush areas are great places to cast. Open water with located bait is also good. Just when you are about to quit is when they typically show up:-) I have chased them for a long time, so feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

2 minutes ago, SalmonSniper said:

Thanks for the replies.  I saw the Fat AZ this weekend at Hogan's.  BR, if not 60 then what would you recommend?  

I use 80lb for most casting and 100lb for larger rubber baits like mag bull dawgs. It is more for abrasion resistance than “strength” 60 will work just need to watch it and check it close if you backlash.

Edited by BRsnow
  • Like 1

Jerkbaits have always been my favorite and most productive casting lures for Chautauqua. Dive and rise type jerkbaits. Mike Sperry has a bunch of Leo Lures jerkbaits at Chautauqua Reel Outdoors. Go see and talk with him. Lots of other brands out there. The Fat AZ raptors that were already mentioned work well too. They get deep and suspend more than rise on the pause. They have them at Hoguns Hut, I believe. This year, I’ve been doing best on a jerkbait from Elwoood City, PA that isn’t made anymore. Here’s a nice Chq fish I got on a jerkbait in July.

IMG_1621.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United