Solar Battery Charger / Maintainer

PA Matt

Does anyone use a solar battery charger / maintainer to keep their batteries charged or "topped off"? Do you have a panel for each battery or can one unit charge 2 or more batteries? What size solar kit do you have?

I have an inboard main engine and a kicker to troll with. I do not run the main motor that much since I primarily use the kicker to fish (I have a short run from the slip to where I generally fish). My alternator is good but since it doesn't run much it can't do its job. I got the kicker to save on fuel so it seems pointless to idle with the main motor just to charge the batteries. This is the first year with the kicker on this boat so that is why it is a new problem for me.

Thanks

Matt

• Like 1

Hey Matt, I also fish out of Northeast and have a main motor and troll with a 9.9 Yamaha. The kicker has been keeping the charge up on the batteries and I run 2 downriggers, an autopilot, fish hawk and 1 lowrance fish finder. I alternate which battery I use every trip and it has worked well so far.

I use two 25 watt solar panels on my hardtop and a charge controller from Harbor Freight. It keeps my batteries charged up while my boat sits in the driveway. I disconnect the solar panels while I'm on the water.

You might be able to keep one battery charging while you are using the other battery, and switch between the batteries throughout the day. That is, IF one isn't a cranking battery. I use 2 deep cycle batteries  on my boat.