trolling on the big o with rolling waves

left out of mexico point last sunday 8/15/2021 ,and when i got on the lake the waves were not white caps ,but large rolling waves, and i had a hard time getting out to any depth ,but when i did the waves where still rolling ,and had a hell of a time trying to keep speed for trolling ,so my questions are what makes these rolling waves ,how can i tell if they are going to be like that before i go on the ,lake . little salmon river was calm as ever ,but lake was tough,and another question how do you control speed(trolling ) in these conditions?

"Large rolling waves " are usually the aftermath of a big blow on the lake . They slowly dissipate over the course of a day or so. Controlling speed isn't any different than being out in 3-4'+ waves. Short of looking at a Lake cam or getting info from someone that is or was just out on the Lake it's a crap shoot . Weather forecasters do not mention this and they seem to be wrong about 50% of the time. 

• Like 1

if the weather report has the waves building than they tend to be shorter choppier waves.

if the waves are falling than that is when you get the long rolling waves.

as far as speed controll the same as any other time.  change directions untill you find the ones that ride right.  use bags and higher rpms to stablize