alewves/sawbellies

I'm getting ready to make my first trip of the year up to the big LAKE O ,I've been fishing Pepacton Reservoir in the Catskills , cathing only small browns in the top 20 feet, where the temp is 39 to 41 degrees.I've been reading incredible amounts of alewives down 70 to 100 feet.....Are the alewives down that deep at ontario right now, due to cold inshore and surface water?If the answer is yes ,will the bigger browns be in close, or up high in the water column ,looking for warmest water or down deeper shadowing the huge schools of deep alewives? Should I target the deep, cold ,alewife filled depths for bigger browns and possibly salmon, or stick to my usual ,early season,in close, shallow ,planer board program?Any advice would be appreciated , thanks...choo-choo .

Hey Pete, I keep 1 boat down by the Barkaboom for early season..1 boat at the dam for summer /fall .I love it there too,but i am getting to old for trolling with OARS !!! They still won't allow even electric trolling motors...NOw my 1st love is LAKE ONTARIO !!!!Check your private message box,i sent you a note about boaters world.I am new to this awesome website,so i am just learning the in's and out's. Good LUck Fishing...and if you can fill me in on the early season alewife situation on lake ontario,it would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Will do on the info. Really in the early season its just as important to find the warmest water, the rest will take care of itself. river/stream outflows are a good start. Alewifes aren't the only, or maybe not even the primary shallow water bait, gobys are also something you should look at and find some imitations, (sticks/spoons).