Intended to head to deeper water but the trim tabs weren't working this morning, so enjoyed a bumpy ride to the 150-300 fow area east of Hedges. Not many marks but those that I did see were usually at 240-250ish.  Grabbed 2 kings, 15 and 19 lbs, so a good day. Both on a DW dolphin green glow spoon 70' over 240 and 260.

BTW, I was listening to the channel 2 weather forecast on the marine radio and it said the wave reading at the Rochester buoy was 0 feet.  I was about 5 miles out probably 6-7 miles east of the buoy, and it was a good 1' chop this morning with the occasional 2' roller.  I was surprised the report was so far off ... just like the NOAA wave report. IMG_20210822_132627203.thumb.jpg.97da87d55f24c1cd48d9c9ecf6066c4b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little research on the NOAA/NWS marine website finds MrKato is on the money: 

Buoy 45012 is listed as being 18 nm N-NE of Rochester (details say 20 nm however) and reports wave height (WVHT) in ft.  This morning it read 1.3 ft.  Buoy RPRN6 is 7 nm out from Rochester and reports a lot of other data (temp, wind speed, barometric pressure) but no WVHT.  I believe it is a NWS buoy reporting for the Coast Guard.  Buoy RCRN6 is 8 nm out and reports only temp for the NOAA.  I guess I have a better appreciation for how useless the wave height data from a buoy 20 nm out can be for me fishing 4-7 miles off shore.  The best gauge I have found is to go to the Weather Bug website for Webster and look at the Forest Lawn Beach weather camera.  It looks right out on the water and is the next best thing to standing on shore.  I wish I had this much motivation for doing research for term papers in school.  

• Like 1

BreakingBass - Regarding RPRN6:  This is the weather sensor station at the end of the east pier (Summerville pier) at the mouth of the Genesee River in Rochester, New York.  And I would also agree with you that looking at the Weather Bug website and camera 6 (Forest Lawn Beach) and camera 13 (Oak Orchard Lighthouse) can be helpful,  I have been fishing Lake Ontario since the early 1980s in the boats of friends and in my own boats since 1986 and wind and wave forecasts for the lake still seem to be a difficult task for the weather service. I can remember a day in the late 1980s when fishing the Spring ESLO Derby when the forecast was for 4 to 6 foot waves and we were on the lake just to the west of the Genesee River fishing a flat like with barely a ripple on the water; there were even people out there in kayaks!! And then I was out there another day when the waves were supposed to be 1 foot or less and I got caught out near Sandy Creek in the early morning when the lake went from waves of less than a foot to 4 to 6 footers out of the east and I had to make it all the way back to Braddock Bay in those conditions.  I am sure there are plenty of other people out there with similar stories,  Just keep monitoring all those potential sources of information. - Mr Kato