Fished solo from 6:00-7:00 PM tonight. Boated out to 135’ dropped the down riggers down to 100’ and 2 minutes later while I was letting out a 10 color, line started screaming. A bit of a circus getting the fish landed but that’s solo fishing. King took a DW mag rod father in 46 degree water going 2.5 mph at the ball. By the time I was done bleeding it out and cleaning up, I decided one fish was enough and headed in. 21.1 lb male with nothing in the stomach. Not a ton of marks but I only fished for a total of 10 minutes so they may be stacked up and staging out in front of Sandy.FAA35819-5F92-4E62-9B87-E55FE6F308B4.jpg loopIMG_1650.JPGIMG_1662.JPGIMG_1663.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, woody 184 said:

Well sir, you are a champ, if you can fish solo for kings you can do anything, I used to love fishing solo for kings you learn so much about yourself, congrats…. Woody

Thank you, its a blast. The last couple of years I've been considering auto pilot to make things easier when fishing alone. I think it would be a game changer regardless of whos on the boat 

3 hours ago, Great_Laker said:

Thank you, its a blast. The last couple of years I've been considering auto pilot to make things easier when fishing alone. I think it would be a game changer regardless of whos on the boat 

Best investment you will make, auto doesn’t get distracted by fighting a fish, keeps you going straight into the wind so you don’t have to captains troll all the time.

I have a 20' aluminum center console which gets pushed around easily by wind and waves but having the wheel in the middle of the boat helps with fighting the fish and steering, usually running two riggers and some sort of junk line on an inline board when I'm solo. 

1 hour ago, Great_Laker said:

Yes.  Autopilot is a game changer -- not sure how you are trolling solo without it!  I guess you can pull it off on a flat lake, but with any wind you are screwed trying to land the fish

Fishing solo for kings is a blast.  Sometimes I have one hand on the wheel to stay the course and the other keeping the rod true.  The only time it gets hairy is getting them in the net.  My GoPro is on standby and at the push of the button it grabs pics for a clean catch and release. 

Round two from Sandy today, took the afternoon off and fished with my boss (Aug- 25). Got a hot tip at the dock to go check out 150' near braddock. We boated over from sandy and picked up a double right away. 21.2 lb king came on a 10 color off an inline board with black NBK spoon (45-50' down) and the 16.8 lb laker on a green FF at the same time 120' on a down rigger over 150'. Went in after that, got blown off the lake by a Thunder Storm. Speed was 2.8 at the ball and the king was in ~55 degree water. 

a.JPG

d.JPG

• Like 1