Snap Weight Question

I picked up some Offshore 3 oz Guppy snap weights today to use with my 10 color setup.  I've never used them before.  If I hook the 3 oz snap weight up to my leader, 50 ft back from my spoon or flasher, and then let out the 10 colors, approximately how deep will it be running at say 2,0mph?  

I

• Like 1

I do it all the time. Maximum is 80’. I usually assign it to 75’. It works great.

I have started snapping it on up the leadcore half way, so you don’t have to do it when the salmon is right behind the boat. It buys you some time. Never had a problem with it on the leadcore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up some Offshore 3 oz Guppy snap weights today to use with my 10 color setup.  I've never used them before.  If I hook the 3 oz snap weight up to my leader, 50 ft back from my spoon or flasher, and then let out the 10 colors, approximately how deep will it be running at say 2,0mph?  

I
If you snap the weight on your leader you will loose the whipping action of leadcore. It is best to snap it on the leadcore near the backing to leadcore connection.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, Fishmaster 196 said:

If you snap the weight on your leader you will loose the whipping action of leadcore. It is best to snap it on the leadcore near the backing to leadcore connection.

x2

2 hours ago, Fishmaster 196 said:

makes sense, appreciate the advice!!  Normally I'll hook my inline board to the backing behind the last color... so if I hook the snap weight there, I assume I need to give the weight some extra line to dive behind the board which seems like a lot of extra line on top of an already very long line.....   could I get away with hooking it say halfway (at the 5 color point) or maybe at the 7 color point and still get that whipping action?  

Prob ably the closer you hook it to the leader the less whipping action of the core. The weight placed just above the leadcore on the backing basically sinks the setup but allows the leadcore freedom to 'roam" back and forth.

Prob ably the closer you hook it to the leader the less whipping action of the core. The weight placed just above the leadcore on the backing basically sinks the setup but allows the leadcore freedom to 'roam" back and forth.

Seems like I’d need to put 70/80 ft of additional line between the board and snap weight to allow it to achieve full depth or else the board would prevent the line from reaching its potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Remember the leadcore sinks so that it is at an angle downward even with the backing running up higher. I use Walleye inlines so the pull of the board upward is not great. Most of the time I fasten to the boards just a little way up the braid backing (at the point it enters the water above the swivel. so it doesn't get hammered with fleas. I guess I try not to overthink it as I'm not being graded on it or anything:lol: Try it each way and see what you think or like. It always pays to experiment.

• Like 2